Commonly referred to as hoverboard or segway, self-balancing scooters were invented in 2013 as personal means of transport either from home to school or to your workplace. They are also used mostly by youngsters/ adults as a recreational activity. So, what is a self-balancing electric scooter?
It is a motorized device made of one or two wheels and a pair of pads for the rider to place his feet. The pads help to control the movement speed or direction of the scooter by leaning your body either forward or backward hence the term self-balancing electric scooter. To learn more about these devices, follow us to the latter.
Why Should You Buy A Self Balancing Electric Scooter?
This amazing device has a number of advantages that might motivate you to scoop one. They include;
1. Improves your body posture and balance
To control these devices effectively, you need to maintain an upright position and balance your bodyweight equally on the scooter to avoid falling off. Balancing your body on a moving device is not easy but with practice, it gets easier. Therefore, continuous use of this device improves your sense of balance and improves your body’s upright posture.
2. Helps to strengthen your core muscles and in weight loss
Although riding a scooter is mostly viewed as a recreational activity, it is also an effective remedy for obesity. How? When riding this device, your entire body is active and a lot of coordination is required. This action consumes energy which triggers your body cells to burn excessive fat. In fact, calorie charts indicate that while riding a self-balancing electric scooter at a speed of 18KM per hour you lose 0.76KJ/KG in a minute.
It is also important to note that while riding, your body is in constant movement. Leaning your body to control the device and change direction helps to coordinate and strengthen all the core muscles involved; arms, thighs, legs, and shoulders.
3. It is cost effective
Away from health benefits, this device is also used as a means of transportation. Just like cars or motorcycles, this device has the ability to move you from one place to another. Unlike cars, electric scooters do not consume much fuel. This makes it cheap to buy and maintain.
4. Saves on time
Self-balancing electric scooters are easily maneuverable. They have the ability to maneuver anywhere hence shortening your movement time. They are also not affected by traffic jams or heavy congestion of cars.
5. They are convenient and eco-friendly
These devices use lithium removable batteries that can be charged anywhere at any time. This makes it super effective and convenient. They are also eco-friendly in that they release no harmful sounds or toxic gas while in use. This makes it safe for both animals and human life.
Top 10 Best Self Balancing Electric Scooter Reviews
1. SISIGAD Hoverboard Self Balancing Scooter
Imagine how magical it is to listen to your favorite tunes whilst cruising around on your hoverboard. Well, the above device does exactly that, thanks to its inbuilt speakers. On top of that, this device is also Bluetooth-enabled. This means it can allow you to listen to your books, music, and podcasts through its wireless connection. With this scooter, you can cruise around for up to forty minutes without having to recharge it again. After usage, you will need to charge it again for a period ranging between three to five hours in order for it to get fully charged.
Even though weight is a key factor when it comes to balancing easily on a hoverboard, this device can support quite a substantial amount of weight. Actually, it supports weights ranging between twenty to ninety kilograms or rather (44-200lbs). However, the manufacturer stipulates that you’ll need to be between 20-70 kgs in order for you to have the best experience on this machine. Smooth rides on all terrains are guaranteed by its enormous 6.5-inch wheels. The wheels have rubber tires for firm grips across all types of surfaces.
If you are a beginner worry not as this machine comes with a self-control system. This makes its usage very amiable and easy for first-time users and even children. Once you buy it, the manufacturer clearly advises the following:
- Make sure the machine is fully charged before using it for the first time.
- Do not swerve at high speeds.
- Do not use it when the battery low indicator is on.
Also, when you are using this device, you will be able to negotiate angles of up to ten degrees without any issues. Thirty days’ money back and a three months warranty have been assigned on this device. Isn’t that really amazing?
- It has an inbuilt speaker.
- Equipped with Bluetooth wireless connectivity.
- It can easily move on all type of terrains thanks to its enormous tires.
- It can only negotiate very low heights of up to 10 degrees.
2. LIEAGLE 6.5 Hoverboard Self Balancing Scooter
Normally, hoverboards have no problems whenever it comes to moving smoothly on flat areas. However, when the terrains start becoming sloppy, you will be left with no choice but to get off. Once you purchase the above hoverboard, this won’t be quite a problem for you. This is so because it is designed with the ability to climb slopes of up to 15 degrees effortlessly. Plus, when it moves straight you can easily make a turn and rotate for 360 degrees.
On top of that, it is also quite easy to use thus getting it for a beginner or maybe for your child would be a good choice. Moreover, the latter has met the UL2272 certification meaning it is a very safe machine for anyone to use. An inbuilt speaker will also spice up the fun with different tunes as you cruise around.
On the downside, this hoverboard lacks Bluetooth connectivity so listening to sounds wirelessly is quite impossible with it. For quality assurance, it comes with a full thirty days warranty. The device can go for a maximum 7.5 miles per hour at its top speed. Finally, charging the device to full capacity takes between two to three hours.
- Comes with an inbuilt speaker.
- Most buyers say that its battery life is long
- It’s very simple to use.
- Safety level is quite high
- It has an impressive 15 degrees climbing capacity.
- It doesn’t have Bluetooth.
3. JOLEGE Hoverboard 6.5 Two Wheel Self Balancing Hoverboard
This hoverboard has been designed in such a way that makes it to be very user-friendly. If you are a beginner or perhaps an armature when it comes to handling a hoverboard, this is the device for you. As a matter of fact, most users have claimed that you can learn to use it within the first five minutes of interacting with it.
Similar to the Lieagle hoverboard, this one too has met the Ul 2272 certification thus being quite a secure machine to use. If you are a speed fanatic, this hoverboard will ultimately blow your mind with its 12mph maximum speed. That speed is quite a force to reckon with as most hoverboards don’t have such a fast speed. For people who want a hoverboard in the office so as to save some minutes, this machine will do you justice too.
Driving it at night has also been made easier with its strong 2 LED flash wheels which bring in some glow in the dark allowing you to see your environs. To charge this device fully, you will have to plug in its charger for about three hours nonstop.
- Has a fast speed.
- It’s very easy to use.
- Buyers say that its lighting is quite impressive.
- It meets the UL 2272 safety levels
- It lacks Bluetooth connectivity.
- It lacks an inbuilt speaker.
4. GYROOR T581 Hover Board
With more than 90℅ five-star ratings amongst a thousand users, this device comes in place as one of the best off-road hoverboards available in today’s market. First off, it is powered with 6.5-inch tires which are backed up by a 600watt motor for more robust power. Therefore, this enables it to move quite easily across all types of terrains. In addition to that, its strong motor allows it to a maximum speed of up to 10mph.
As if not enough, the latter is designed to be very easy and stable to use the scooter. Two modes are inscribed on it to ensure you have the best riding experience. They include; the children mode which is for kids and amateurs and the adult mode which is for stable users.
When fully charged, this scooter can go for up to 7.5 miles before recharge. This will cost you about two hours in order to get fully charged. Also, this scooter has safety batteries that are UL 2272 certified ensuring that each part is safe and less prone to fire when in use. Once you buy this scooter, you will get a free carrying bag for easier transportability.
Besides that, the device is built to support body weights ranging between 44pounds to 220 pounds. Lastly, unlike the other hoverboards, this one comes with an app for easy control and management. With this app you can do several things like checking your batteries, altering your speed, etc.
- It has Bluetooth connectivity.
- It has an application.
- Comes with two modes for easier management.
- It is a very stable scooter to use.
- It has an average Maximum speed.
5. Segway Ninebat Drift W1
It is without a doubt that this latter also qualifies to be amongst self-balancing electric scooters in the market. First of all, it comes in two separate self-balancing E skates. These E skates are quite easy to carry around as they have elastic bands at the bottom for easier carriage. Additionally, each single E skates measures 7.7lbs. Actually, the two distinct e skate design is employed so as to allow it to move more easily.
Unlike most scooters mentioned here, this one comes with a full one-year warranty. In addition, it takes up to forty minutes for its battery to fully wear out before getting recharged again. Also, its safety Is also unquestionable as it comes with a smart battery management system that is UL 2272 certified. Another merit associated with this device is that it can be stably used during any type of weather as it is IP54 certified.
- It is waterproof.
- It has a very outstanding design.
- Has a log warranty period.
- It is quite easy to use.
- It has quite an average maximum speed of up to 7.5mph only.
6. HOVERSTAR Hoverboad
This is yet another scooter that will allow you to enjoy your music while you use it through its inbuilt wireless speaker. Apart from that, it comes with 6.5-inch tires which have been backed up by a 200-watt motor. Unfortunately, this clearly shows that even if the latter has enormous tires, it still isn’t amongst the best off-road scooters as its motor is a bit feeble.
It has a maximum speed of up to 9 miles per hour. Further, it is powered with two LED light-up flash wheels as well as impressive front LED lights. When it comes to supporting, this device can support weights ranging between 45 lbs to 165lbs comfortably. It is without a doubt that its strength has been derived from the quality materials used in its making. Also, this machine is quite easy to use hence being super ideal for kids, beginners, and armatures. More also, its great battery construction makes it a very safe scooter to use as it has passed the UL 2272 quality certification.
- It comes with an inbuilt speaker.
- Has an UL 2272 safety certification
- It has quite enormous tires.
- It has great lighting.
- It has an average maximum speed.
- Its motor is not as strong.
- It is not app compatible.
7. UNI-SUN Hoverboad For Kids
Parents! If you have been looking for the best type of scooter to buy for your kid, the above hoverboard will provide the most suitable choice for you. Here is why. To begin with, this hoverboard is very safe to use as it has passed all the safety tests and it has even met the UL 2272 safety standards. Besides that, this device has an inbuilt smart Chip that abets its self-balancing system to allow users to learn how to balance on it only in a matter of minutes. Although it is built especially for kids, that doesn’t mean that it has a weak motor. As a matter of fact, it features two powerful motors for quality performance.
These motors give it a maximum running speed of up to 10 kmh. Two 6.5 inch tires are also inscribed on it for smooth movement across all types of surfaces. The tires employ solid rubber in their making so as to achieve a firm grip even when used across soft surfaces. Unlike most scooters, this one comes with gyroscope foot sensors which help it to swiftly respond to angle and speed. This means you can control it very easily thus ensuring a safe ride.
- It comes with dual motors for utmost performance
- Very suitable for kids.
- Easy to use.
- It has Bluetooth connectivity
- It has met all safety tests even the UL 2275 safety standard
- It has an average maximum speed.
- It is not app compatible.
8. Segway Ninebot S Smart Self Balancing Electric Scostrain
Unlike most types of scooters mentioned above, the above scooter is crafted to provide more support to its users. This is because it has handlebars made of soft PU foam to steer it around. Besides, this scooter comes with large anti-skid vacuum tires that are about 10.5 inches wide. Therefore, you can cruise around the city with your device because its tires are large enough to counter all types of terrains. Also, the tires add a sense of style to the scooter making you look more stylish as you stroll around town on it.
As if not enough, this device has been crafted for ultimate performance thanks to its incredible power. This power comes from its 400-watt reliable dual motors. Additionally, the two motors allow it to achieve a maximum speed of up to 10mph as well as to climb angles running as far as 15 degrees.
The quality engineering employed on this machine contributes largely to its great strength. This allows it to support a weight of up to 220 lbs without any sort of strain. Additionally, whenever the latter is active and fully charged, it can go up to 13.7 miles continuously without having to get recharged.
Even if it seems a bit bulky, it is very light and weighs only 28 lbs. this makes it easily portable.
To spice things further, this scooter can be controlled simply via an app. This means through the app, you can adjust light colors, modify safety settings and upgrade firmware, etc. You can also enjoy your scooter across all types of weather as it exhibits IP54 waterproof protection. Plus, it also meets all the required safety standards thus being a very safe device to use.
- It is waterproof.
- Has a very high climbing ability.
- Have powerful dual motors.
- It has large wheels.
- It can be managed through an app.
- Can support larger amounts of weight.
- It has an average maximum speed.
9. Hover-1 Ultra Electric Self Balancing Hoverboad Scooter
If you thought an ordinary hoverboard couldn’t support large weights, then the latter will completely debunk your presumption. The above hoverboard might seem small but it will literally surprise you with its great capability of supporting up to 220lbs effortlessly. Besides that, this device can reach a top speed of up to 7 mph, and still travel for up to twelve miles when fully charged. The environmentally friendly scooter comes with a fully covered battery (has a battery shield), which can be recharged. However, it takes up to four hours for it to get fully charged.
There are no lights employed on its tires but two LED front sensor headlights are included for better visibility. In an event that an unwanted defect arises within the scooter during the first ninety days of purchase, you can have it returned to the manufacturer for a full money-back refund.
- Supports large weights of up to 220 lbs.
- Its battery is well protected for a safe ride.
- It’s quite easy to use.
- It doesn’t come with an app
- It has an average top speed.
10. Hover-1titan Electric Self Balancing Hoverboard Scooter
On an honest note, the functionality of a scooter cannot fully be judged by its size. This is so because the vast majority of individuals tend to think that the larger a hoverboard is, the stronger it is. However, if you have subscribed to that rudimental notion then this last scooter will leave you completely dazzled over its breathtaking features. First off, despite the fact that this scooter has a very small size, it can comfortably support up to 265 lbs without strain. To boot on that, it also has two powerful 250-watt motors, which give it the strength to perform incredibly. Whether you are an expert, a beginner, or an amateur at using a hoverboard, this device will simplify the entire experience for you. This is so since it comes with three inbuilt modes that include: beginner mode, intermediate mode, and expert mode.
More to that, the scooter is app compatible. To use the app, you just download it on your smartphone to manage your scooter. The app allows you to monitor your remaining battery capacity, distance covered among others. Lastly, this machine has a maximum moving speed of up to 7.45 mph, which ensures you have a safe stable ride.
- It can be controlled through an app
- It can support a very heavyweight load.
- Has an inbuilt Bluetooth speaker.
- Comes in very alluring colors.
- It has powerful dual motors.
- It has an a very low maximum speed
Factors To Consider When Buying Self Balancing Electric Scooter
- Build quality: The build quality of the scooter is one of the top factors that you should not compromise. There are a lot of brands in the market that use different materials to build their devices. Some use metals and others plastic materials. Others use weak while others strong/ robust wheels. This makes it important to do thorough research on the brand and quality of their products before purchase.
- Battery: Look keenly whether it has a long-life battery before purchase. It would be very frustrating for your battery to run out of charge before reaching your destination. To avoid this, make sure its battery can last for a long with a fast charging ability. To achieve this, read several customer ratings and reviews online.
- Speed and purpose: Different scooters are molded for different purposes. Some are meant for fun, as a means of workout while others are purposely meant for transportation. In most cases, scooters for fun are meant for kids and have a slower pace. Scooters for professionals have a high speed that can reach up to 10 mph. However, its moving speed is also affected by the kind of terrain and the rider’s weight.
- Weigh capacity: This is another great factor to consider while buying a self-balancing electric scooter. Most scoopers have maximum weight capacity indicated on the manual or outer box. To avoid defaults and malfunctions on your scooter, get one with maximum weight capacity above your ideal body weight.
- Safety: Safety is very critical to overlook. From past experience, some scooters are not safe enough for use. Some have caught fire while being ridden due to battery defaults and overcharging. This has left users dead or injured. To avoid this, ensure your scooper has been verified under UL 2272 safety standards.
- Portability: It’s also important to check out your scooter’s weight before purchase. This is because some are heavier, others light and easy to carry around. Portability is crucial especially when your battery dies in the middle of your journey. This makes it easy to carry your scooter and walk or board a car. It’s also important to choose an easily portable scooter in case you need to move from one town to another by plane or car. This will give you less burden to travel with.
- Restrictions of use: Due to several dangers associated with self-balancing scooters in the past, the government has restricted its use in various countries. Before purchase, it is important to research and know whether your city or country is among the restricted ones.
- Budget: Different scooters are available at different prices. However, it’s important to understand that quality and price are related. More often than not, cheap scooters are uncertified and made of poor-quality materials. When setting your budget, go for a higher quality product regardless of its price. This is to guarantee your safety.
- Warranty: Electric gadgets are often prone to mechanical defaults. As a result, it’s always important to ensure it has a reasonable warranty before purchase. Most of these scooters have a 2 years duration and a 60-day money return period.
Where can you buy a self balancing scooter?
There are numerous stores and online platforms available to buy a self-balancing electric scooter. However, you should be cautious because some places are not legit and might sell you a non-certified scooter. Among many, Amazon stands out the best, offering a variety at affordable prices.
Can I get Self Balancing Electric Scooter on finance?
The popularity of self-balancing electric scooters is skyrocketing. There are a lot easier to ride than bikes and they can go almost anywhere, including on bike lanes. They also give you a sense of freedom and lighten your commute. But how much does it cost? While the upfront cost for these devices may be high, there are still ways to make them affordable thanks to financing options. Here, are some tips on how to get a self-balancing electric scooter on finance with Tire Plus Credit Card by understanding what your options are.
How does self balancing electric scooter work?
The device works effectively with the help of its electric motors, sensors, pads, and switches under each pad. When you step on each pad, its switch triggers the electric sensor to produce an infrared LED light. The light remains on and turns off immediately you lean your body. This allows the sensor to send an alert to the logic board to spin the wheels for movement.
Are self balancing electric scooters safe?
Yes. This is because all scooters should meet UL2272 safety standards before they are released into the market. This makes them safe and certified to use.
What is the maximum weight capacity of a self balancing electric scooter?
Different scooters have different maximum weight capacities. This depends on the model and brand of the scooter, size of the hoverboard, and size of the wheels. However, most scooters have a maximum weight capacity of 350 to 400 lbs.
With multiple brands of self-balancing electric scooters in the market, knowing the right to choose can be tedious. However, before committing to any, first ensure its safety is certified. Also, consider its quality and other important factors like weight capacity, warranties, and customer support. To simplify things, we have given you a guide of the ten best products to consider. Choose your favorite and enjoy your ride!