Have you heard about trundle beds in the past? These are beds that slide out from underneath another bed. Here, you can roll it out when you need it and then push it back under the main bed once you are done with it. In most cases, these beds are very common in places that are tight on space. In fact, they are ideal when you have a guest staying over in your small house. You can use this bed for office use, sleepover, and generally before moving to a real bed. Besides fitting in small spaces, these beds are very affordable. When looking for a mattress for a trundle bed, you have to be careful to choose the one that suits your needs.
Since the trundle beds usually fit under the main bed, the amount of space that is between both of them will determine the best mattress you should look out for. Ideally, you should choose a mattress that resembles the model on your main bed for uniformity purposes. It should also be durable so that it can last for many years.
Types of Mattress for Trundle Bed
For you to have a good night’s sleep there is a need for you to choose the right mattress for your trundle bed. After all, you deserve to have some rest after working for long hours during the day. Choosing the right mattress for your bed will ensure that your body not only relaxes but also gets revitalized. Since trundle bed mattresses come in different types, here are some types you should expect once you go to the market:
1. Memory foam
If you are a side sleeper, this mattress is the best choice for you. Here, you can trust that you will enjoy great comfort and support. This mattress is usually trendy since it can gradually conform to your body as you sleep. For instance, if you sleep on your side, it will offer much-needed support to your hips and shoulders. As a result, it will contour your body and allow you to feel as if the mattress surrounds you while supporting you at the same time. Apart from this, the mattress contains several layers of foam that offer the necessary resistance to sagging. As a result, you will not have to flip your mattress from time to time.
This type of mattress usually uses the internal support of metal springs. It is one of the oldest yet most common designs you can find in many homes out there. In fact, they have come all the way from 1857, when this mattress was first invented. As we speak, we have modern grades that make them more comfy and stable than ever.
You can easily measure the quality of this mattress by the number of coils in a particular design. Here, the number and distribution of these coils will determine how well the mattress will conform to your body. Also, these mattresses usually have varying spring shapes and coil gauges that can affect the quality of back support. With this kind of mattress, you can be sure that you will sleep comfortably whether you are a side, back, or tummy sleeper in your trundle bed.
If you dislike memory foam mattresses, you should consider buying a gel mattress for your trundle bed. Memory foam mattresses are known to trap heat. This usually happens because the foam needs to be dense to offer much-needed support. As a result, the denseness of this mattress usually hinders smooth airflow. This, in turn, can make your body temperature rise in the long run.
To avert this, you should consider choosing the gel mattress. Since the gel is usually infused into the foam of the mattress, you can trust that it will take on the temperature of the material around it and thereby dissipate your body’s heat more effectively. This way, you will remain cool as you go to bed.
4. Latex mattress
This kind of mattress basically uses latex foam rather than memory foam. It is actually considered to be a more natural bedding option as latex is a byproduct of spa from the rubber tree. Therefore, if you are looking for a natural bedding solution, you should go for natural latex compared to synthetic latex.
It is also important to note that latex offers varying levels of firmness and flushness. This way, it can accommodate those who sleep on their back, side, or even on their tummy. Apart from this, the latex mattress is less dense and does not heat like memory foam.
This is actually one of the most common types that you can get within the budget bed-in-a-box category. It uses a combination of different forms in a bid to achieve a high-end memory foam experience. The good thing is that it comes at a pocket-friendly price.
How Much Floor Space Does A Trundle Bed Take Up?
Before you think of purchasing a trundle bed, it is vital that you consider the area where you would like to place it. As mentioned above, this bed is a good option when you have limited floor space in your bedroom. For you to know the amount of floor space this bed will occupy, you should consider measuring the length and width of the parent bed and then that of the trundle bed when you roll it out. Finally, add 2 ft. of spaces for walking around the bed.
If you have a twin-size bed at home with a twin-size trundle, the area occupied by the trundle bed will be the area of one bed multiplied by two and then add 24, which is essentially the area of the human body. The flow space occupied by the trundle bed will let you know if your bed really fits in your bedroom or not. Also, this will enable you to know if you will manage to pull the trundle bed and move comfortably around it.
10 Best Mattress for Trundle Bed With Back Support
There are many mattresses that you can buy for your trundle bed and enjoy a good night’s sleep. However, here are some of the incredible mattresses you should consider:
1. LUCID 6 Inch Memory Foam Mattress
This memory foam mattress usually comes with a strong surface feel. You will note that it is a 6-inch high-density unit. This feature makes it ideal for children and adults looking for a strong bed that will offer adequate back support. Therefore it is the right size to fit in your trundle bed.
Its open cell construction makes it more resilient and durable. This way, it will not cause any severe body impressions. Apart from this, it comes with a 10-year warranty. This can assure you that you will get value for your money.
Since it is rolled and compressed for shipping, you can easily move it through narrow hallways and even staircases. Finally, it is safe for youth. Its Certi-PUR US certification will go a long way in ensuring no harmful chemicals are used in memory foam.
- Ideal for relieving pain
- No harmful chemicals used
- Great breathability
- It takes 24 hours to expand
2. Zinus Memory Foam mattress
With this conforming memory foam mattress, you can be sure that you will enjoy both comfort and support. This goes a long way in ensuring that you sleep well at night. The mattress comes with three layers, which include;
- 1-inch memory foam
- 1 Inch pressure-relieving comfort foam
- 3 inches of high-density base support foam.
Apart from this, it comes with high-quality foam which is CertiPUR-US Certified. This ensures that the mattress lasts longer and performs optimally. To keep your mattress fresh, this mattress comes with the latest evolution of memory foam, commonly referred to as Bio Foam.
Finally, this mattress is normally smartly shipped. Here, this mattress is compressed, rolled, and finally shipped in a box conveniently for you. It is vital that you open your mattress package within 72 hours upon its receipt. After that, you can allow 48 hours for your mattress to return in its original shape.
- It is CertiPUR-US certified
- The mattress is ideal for kids
- It comes with 1-inch pressure-relieving comfort foam
- It takes 2 days to expand fully
3. Inofia 8 inch Hybrid Comfort Eurotop Innerspring Mattress
This mattress comes with a 3D knitted dual-layer cover on its top. This, in turn, helps add softness to the mattress and even creates a medium-firm feel. However, at the same time, it remains supportive. Apart from this, it can absorb moisture, and the mattress is breathable too.
Its orthopedic design provides a great balance of the head, waist, shoulder, hips, and even legs. Therefore, you can be sure that you will sleep soundly. As far as health is concerned, this mattress is CertiPUR-US certified. Besides this, it is made without ozone depleters, TDCPP, PBDEs, or TCEP flame retardants.
Finally, it comes with a 10-year warranty from the manufacturer. Also, it is backed with Inofia’s 100 hassle-free night trials.
- It comes with an eco-friendly design
- The mattress is easy to assemble
- It is excellent in offering back and spinal support.
- The edge support of this mattress is not good.
4. Classic Brands Cool Gel Memory Foam 6-Inch Mattress
This mattress combines two advanced technologies that enable you to have a good night’s sleep. Its beautifully detailed, all-around cover with 4-way stretch works to optimize its conforming properties.
Apart from this, its pressure-relieving gel foam will draw heat away from your body when you are sleeping. This way, you will be able to sleep comfortably at night. Since this mattress comes with a high-density base foam layer, it can readily conform to the body to avoid tossing and turning.
Lastly, this mattress is naturally hypo-allergic and resistant to allergies. Also, it is resistant to bacterial mold and even dusts mites. Finally, it meets the CertiPUR-US program standards. This way, you can be sure that will perform optimally and last longer.
- Offers excellent breathability
- It can conform to the body
- The mattress is hypoallergenic
- No much bounce
5. Signature Sleep Memoir 8″ Memory Foam Mattress
Signature Sleep Memory foam mattress is basically designed to ensure that you enjoy your sleep when you are in your trundle bed. Here, you will not enjoy the comfort of sleeping on it but also some serene sleep.
It comes with a luxurious and responsive layer of memory foam. To put this into perspective, it comprises of multiple layers of memory foam, which includes a 6-inch high-density foam as well as a single 2-inch layer of memory foam. As a result, your body will be able to get the much-needed balance when sleeping. In fact, you will not keep on turning and tossing in a bid to catch some sleep.
Finally, it is worth noting that it is structured in a way that will curb motion transfer. Apart from this, it can help relieve pressure points and thereby make you feel relaxed, revitalized, and restored every morning. Furthermore, it is covered in a soft fabric that will not hurt your skin.
- The mattress is resistant to dust mites.
- It is able to distribute weight evenly.
- No flame retardants
- The mattress is not meant to be flipped.
6. Linenspa 6-Inch Innerspring Mattress
Do you have young kids at home? This mattress is the ultimate solution for them. With this kind of mattress, you can be sure that it will offer adequate support for your young kid. Besides providing the much-needed support, the mattress comes with tempered steel coils. This makes it more durable. It can actually make a perfect choice for your kids’ bed or even guest rooms.
Since this mattress comes with a quilted fabric cover and a layer of cushioning foam at the top, you can be certain that it will offer more comfort at night. Also, it comes with a fire-resistant barrier, which meets the flammability standards. As a result, your kids will remain safe even if your house catches fire at night.
Lastly, this mattress comes with a long warranty from the manufacture. Here, you can expect that you will get the value for your money, even if the mattress develops issues within this period. Once you buy the mattress, it will be shipped conveniently for you. It will come rolled up in a box. Once you receive it, you should remove the packaging within 72 hours and then allow 48 hours for better decompression.
- It is very affordable
- The mattress is ideal for kids
- It does not catch fire easily
- The mattress has some odor when it is new
7. Zinus 6 Inch Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress
This kind of mattress is an all-foam option for your trundle bed. It comes with some excellent features that will mesmerize you. To start with, the refreshing green tea and moisture absorbing Activ charcoal infused into the foam mattress will cradle your shape. This way, you will not suffer from backaches and pain the moment you wake up.
Also, this mattress is ideal for those who sleep on their backs and are average-weight sleepers. All this is possible, thanks to the 1-inch conforming memory foam and 5 inches durable base support foam. Since this mattress is Cert-PUS certified, it can last for many years and offer excellent performance.
If you are looking for a mattress that has a long warranty, this mattress is the best choice for you. This is because it comes with a 10-year limited warranty from the manufacturer. As far as weight is concerned, it can support a weight of up to 250 lbs. However, there are other sizes that can support up to 500 lbs.
Finally, this mattress is expertly packed. Here, you will realize that it is normally compressed into one box that can easily be shipped to any country out there. Once you receive the package, you just need to unroll, and the mattress will expand to its initial shape within 72 hours.
- The mattress offers complete pressure relief.
- It offers great edge support.
- The mattress comes with a long warranty period from the manufacturer.
- It has a weight limit of 250 pounds.
8. Best Price Mattress 6-Inch Memory Foam Mattress
Once you buy this mattress for your trundle bed, you can be sure that you will feel as if you are floating on a cloud. Apart from this, you can be sure that you will sleep for longer hours comfortably. Here, you are guaranteed of more comfort, thanks to its body-conforming design.
Apart from this, the mattress is Certi-PUR certified. This can also assure you that it will last longer and offer excellent results. The top of this mattress has a 3-inch supportive layer below and 2 inches of super soft foam. Since it measures 36 by 75 by 6 inches, this mattress will perfectly fit in your truckle bed. However, worth noting that the top is 1 inch.
- The mattress is very comfy
- Its form is breathable.
- The mattress offers pressure pain relief.
- No hugging feel
9. Modway Aveline 6″ Gel Infused Memory Foam Twin Mattress
This is one of the top-rated twin mattresses that is sold at a pocket-friendly price out there in the market. Basically, Aveline can deliver a memory foam mattress of high quality that offers adequate support, yet at a pocket-friendly price.
Since this mattress can align your spine and reduce pressure on your head, spine, and even the neck, you can be sure that you will sleep soundly on your trundle bed. Apart from this, the mattress is CertiPUR-US certified. It is therefore made without heavy metals, formaldehyde, TDCPP, and other flame retardants.
Also, it comes with a 10-year warranty. Consequently, you can be sure that your mattress will serve you for longer without having to replace it. Lastly, his mattress comes with a gel-infused memory foam top layer that is well ventilated. As a result, you can be sure that you will not sweat once you go to bed. It is capable of reducing perspiration when the weather is either hot or humid.
- The mattress distributes weight evenly
- Reduced motion transfer.
- The mattress will keep you cool
- It offers average edge support
10. Zinus 6 Inch Ultima Memory Foam Mattress
Just like the mattresses mention above, this mattress will provide you with a good night’s sleep at night. To start with, it comes with a dual-layer construction with natural green and charcoal that makes it resistant to antimicrobials and even dust mites.
Also, it comes with 1.5 inches conforming memory foam and 4.5 inches durable base support foam. This makes it a perfect choice for those who like sleeping on their backs and average-weight sleepers. Apart from this, the mattress is Certi-PUR certified. Therefore, it can last for many years and still offer quality results.
Finally, it comes with a 10-year warranty from the manufacturer. As far as weight is concerned, this mattress can readily support a maximum weight of 250 lbs, while other sizes can actually support weights up to 500lbs.
- The mattress is excellent for kids
- It offers good bounce
- The mattress is CertiPUR-US certified
- This mattress is not suitable for adults.
Key Considerations When Choosing A Mattress For A Trundle Bed
If you want to buy a mattress for your trundle bed at home, there are many considerations that you should make. Some of these considerations include:
- The material used for making the mattress: One of the fundamental things that you should not overlook when buying this mattress is the structure and quality of material used in designing them. These features will go a long way in determining their suitability. Ideally, the materials used to make it should be of high quality. This will ensure that the mattress lasts longer and still remain in good shape.
- The measurement of your bed: Apart from the material used to make your mattress, you should be keen to check the dimensions of your bed. Ideally, it should know the size that will fit in the lower bed section. For optimal results, your mattress of choice should not exceed 8 inches in thickness. This is more important if you want to keep a comforter made up on the trundle bed.
- Price: Since these mattresses come at different prices, you should choose the one that suits your budget. If you choose to go for the high-quality one, chances are, you will have to spend more money on it. However, if you are on a budget, you might consider choosing the one that costs relatively lower prices. It all depends on your budget. You can even ask for discounts in a bid to save more on this mattress. This way, you can be sure that you will get a good deal.
- Firmness: It is worth noting that there is no particular firmness for everyone. Therefore, you should choose a mattress whose firmness suits your needs. To know which firmness suits your needs, there is a firmness scale that you should have a look at. This scale ranges from 1 to 10. A mattress whose firmness is level one is usually soft in nature. Here, you will be able to snuggle and disappear in the comfort of your extra fluffy mattress. However, for a mattress whose thickness is level 10, you can be sure that will be firmer and better.
- Support: Due to regular use, your mattress is bound to sag. However, a good mattress should not sag. To avert the problem of sagging, most mattresses usually have a large layer of support. Sometimes, they can have a series of steel coils. As a result, you might not notice whether the mattress has sagged or not. Therefore, your mattress of choice should have this feature for optimal results.
- Temperature regulation: It is worth noting that memory foam mattresses for trundle beds are known to be warmer than their counterparts. This is because of their less breathability characteristic. However, if you check the recent designs, they have a breathable foam and mattress cover that can allow the free flow of air. Therefore, your ideal mattress for the trundle bed should not be too warm as you might end up sweating and even have inadequate sleep in the long run.
- Motion isolation: There are moments when there might be sudden movement on the trundle bed. This can make you lose your sleep and even feel tired the following day. Also, this might dampen your mood. This is the reason why your mattress of choice should have a motion isolation feature. Here, you can trust that you will not be disturbed once you retire to bed.
- Sleeping position: The way you sleep at night might influence the kind of mattress you will buy for your trundle bed. This is because different sleeping positions will put different levels of pressure on the bed. For instance, if you usually sleep on your back, your body weight will be spread across the mattress. In this case, you can choose to go for the mattress with a lesser depth.
Is a trundle bed a good idea?
Yes. This is because trundle beds usually feature a second bed only that they have thinner mattresses. They are therefore suited for kids, teens, and also overnight guests. In fact, they are an excellent investment if you need more sleeping space in your small bedroom. However, it is essential to note that these beds might not be ideal for people with back problems as they are less supportive compared to the traditional mattress.
Do you need a boxspring for a trundle bed?
No. Since a box spring is meant to provide the much-needed support to the mattress, it might raise the mattress to a higher height, such that it might no longer fit below the parent bed. Ideally, the box spring is meant to protect the mattress by absorbing impact, and as such, it might not be helpful for the trundle bed.
What size mattress fits a trundle bed?
Since the trundle bed is meant to fit under another bed, the mattress of this bed is basically a twin mattress size and is not thicker than 8 inches.
Can you put a trundle under any bed?
Well, it depends on the space under the parent bed. Ideally, it should provide sufficient room for the trundle bed and the mattress. It is worth noting that the trundle frame can be as low as 6 inches. Therefore, you should add 6 inches to the mattress, thereby making the minimum height of the main bed to be 12 inches.
Do trundle beds pop up?
Yes. Popup trundle beds usually have rollers that are attached, and they can pop up to the same height as the parent bed.
How do I keep my trundle bed from rolling?
To prevent the trundle bed from rolling, you should flip the lever on the side of the casters to engage it. By doing this, you will be able to lock the wheels into place. If you notice that your trundle bed does not come with locking wheels, you can readily buy a set of locking casters.
The above mention mattresses for trundle beds have proved to be a good investment for many homeowners. If you have a small bedroom, you should not panic as you can make the bedroom look bigger using a trundle bed. All you need to do is to buy any of these mattresses for your trundle bed, and you are good to go.
The good news is that this mattress will not only offer sufficient support on your back but also reduce pressure points on the hips, holders, and even lower back. Apart from this, you will have a good night’s sleep. Consider this guide today, and you will get the value for your money.