10 Best Machine For Cutting Grass
If you have a grass farm or a yard within your compound at the home, office, school, etc, maintenance is a top priority. Unkempt grass is a put-off and destroys the aura of green vegetation. Therefore, to get the best from your grass, you must use the proper tools for trimming. The best of these tools are grass cutters and lawnmowers. For now, we are going to look at grass-cutting machine exclusively. Types, models, and different factors you should consider when getting one.
A grass cutter is the most preferred machine for grass cutting if your yard is not too big. They are more flexible and capable of penetrating places where other devices cannot. Basically, it is meant for small gardeners and places without big trees. Using them on big trunks can destroy your cutter blades.
You can also use it in big gardens for refinement purposes after the mower has passed. However, other powerful cutters can perform almost all the functions of a mower. So, the cutter you need is determined by what you want to do with it. That means meticulous care is essential when shopping for grass cutting machines.
Differences Between the Grass Cutters and Lawn Mowers
These tools are almost similar in their operations and both are grass-cutting machines. The mower is more powerful and efficient at cutting grass comprising of a vast area. However, many differences pitch these two fantastic home tools. They include;
- Mowers are heavy duty machines and are used to trim large trucks of land with much grass compared to grass cutters. In most cases, people use grass cutters or trimmers to refine the already mowed parts. This is owing to the fact that the trimmers are smaller and more versatile in their use.
- Lawnmowers are efficient on flat and extensive surfaces. They cannot be used on sharp bends or between squeezed objects. The cutter, on the other hand, is capable of operating on such unfriendly grounds. It can work perfectly on sloppy grounds, near objects, and other places that the lawn mowers cannot comfortably access.
- Grass cutters, in most cases, are used to compliment the mowers. However, they can also be used on their own, especially on smaller grounds as they are less tedious.
As there are differences, there are also primary similarities between these tools. Some of these include;
- Both grass cutters and lawn mowers are used to maintain a neat lawn. In short, they are both used to trim the grass.
- Both come in different types and with different features. It’s upon you to decide which kind and with what features do you need for cutting grass.
Best 10 Cutting Grass Machine For Your Yard
Choosing a grass-cutting machine from a wide variety in the market today can be difficult. The list below presents the top 10 rated grass cutting machines from which you can get yourself one;
1. BLACK+DECKER Lawn Mower, Corded, 13-Amp, 20-Inch
This is an electrical grass cutting machine designed to mow approximately a third of acre yards. If you don’t want those fuel-guzzling cutters that emit fumes, this can be a good alternative. The 13 -amp motor makes this unit so powerful that it can effectively trim even taller grasses.
It also has a 20-inch deck – wide enough for more significant edge cutting. Also, you can adjust the handles to fit people of different heights. The combination of three functionalities in this single machine makes it so superior. It can mulch, bag, or make use of the side discharge.
Another outstanding feature of the Black & Decker MM2000 is the low noise level. It is very quiet when operating and yet one of the easiest to assemble.
- It mulches grass to fine pieces.
- Cuts the grass very close to the edge.
- It is fairly lightweight and with a lower noise level.
- The handles can be adjusted to suit different people.
- It is compact hence easy to transport.
- No pollution through fumes as it is powered electrically.
- Has a connecting electrical cord that requires it be tied to the power source.
- Its power cannot equal the gas-powered models.
- Can only be efficient on small yards.
- The grass may clump the grass box.
- Has many plastic parts hence short lifespan or increased maintenance cost.
2. WORX WG779 40V Power Share 4.0 Ah 14″ -Grass Cutting Machine
This is one of the lightweight grass cutting machines in the market today that will give your yard a neat picture. The Worx WG779 is easy to operate since it’s not heavy. The trimmer uses two 20V batteries to extend its runtime. Therefore, you are assured of longer working hours before you can run out of power.
The Worx WG779 is cordless meaning that you don’t have to deal with the clumsiness that comes with cables. The cutter uses an advanced technology known as intellect to regulate the blades cutting power depending on the type of grass. This helps to save some power hence contributing to longer runtime.
For more customized blades precision, this cutter allows you to make three position adjustments. You are then able to mow the grass uniformly. In terms of flexibility, the Worx WG779 gives you mulching and bag options.
- It is a versatile grass cutter with mulching and bag options.
- It also has a broader grass cutting deck.
- It is quiet and easy to use.
- Intellicut technology increases the runtime by regulating the cutting power.
- It is lightweight.
- The battery takes a long period to be fully charged.
- Its charger is sold separately, which means extra cost.
- Must run on eco for extended battery life.
3. Troy-Bilt 30-Inch Neighborhood Riding
This is a superior grass cutter meant for people with medium-sized yards that are relatively flat. The unit has a top speed of up to 4.25 MPH. One unique thing with Troy Bilt is the wide cutting deck measuring 30 inches. For more refined trimming options, the tool gives five different blade settings. This ensures uniformity and versatility when working on your grass.
Being a riding product, it is less tiring. All you are required to do is to sit and steer it in the right direction. Compared to manual cutters, this is more efficient and convenient. It also offers a turning radius to ensure that no complications happen during tuning—the front turn is at 13X5 inches and 16.5 X6.5 inches for rear wheels.
- The riding capability makes it more efficient and less tiring.
- It has an expansive cutting deck.
- It’s small in size, which makes it easy to fit in small spaces for storage.
- High speed that can reach 4.25
- Uses manual power to start.
- Efficient only on relatively even surface.
- Not efficient for too small properties.
4. EGO Power+ LM2142SP – Grass Cutting Machine
This is a self-propelled grass cutter equipped with peak power technology that combines powers from two EGO batteries. It ensures increased runtime plus sufficient power for more massive grass cutting.
The push start button mechanism ensures that you don’t struggle to start the machine. Additionally, the device has speed control mechanisms that give you options to start the machine in your own way in tough terrains. The good thing is that the unit is compatible with both EGO power and ARC Lithium batteries which enables it to deliver optimal operation power.
You can set your preferred grass height since the equipment offers six height adjustments. It is such an options-rich cutter with three functions; mulching, bagging, and side discharge.
- Uses a push button to start, which makes it very easy to start.
- Compatible to both EGO power and ARC Lithium batteries.
- Offers three functionalities – mulching, bagging and side discharge.
- Provides six height adjustment options.
- It comes with a five-year warranty
- You must push it around as not a riding type.
- May leave the grass depressed by the wheels.
5. Greenworks 15-Inch 5.5 Amp Corded String Trimmer 21272
GreenWorks 21272 is an electric trimmer best for small-sized outdoor spaces. It is such a lightweight device that you can operate without struggles at all. So, you don’t have to worry about fatigue or strain when operating this cutter.
This unit presents not just reliable performance but as a strong alternative to gas trimmers.
It has such a wide cutting deck of 13 inches pitting it against other competitive models.
The other features present include the automatic string feed system and an adjustable shaft.
The handle has 1800 rotating flexibility. This makes it a fantastic tool for edging along sidewalks. The unit is not just a safe instrument but also an environment-friendly tool.
- Can be used for accurate edging
- It is lightweight, making it easy to operate and maneuver.
- Cost friendly.
- It is a combination of efficiency, convenience, and durability.
- Doesn’t come with an extension cord.
- It doesn’t include a sidewheel for use when edging.
- The spool holds a very small string.
6. Husqvarna 967820502 LE221R Self-Propelled Battery Lawn Mower
Want to tackle your lawn with a powerful mower? You have the Husqvarna 967820502 LE221R. The 40V battery mower provides cordless push-button startups with a good deal of power and no engine maintenance. The self-propelled mower does it straightforward to tackle lawn work with power and maneuverability.
This is an all-wheel-drive cutter that provides stability and power, especially on bad terrains. It also features a heavy-duty wide deck and a sturdy engine.
The adjustable drive speed allows you to monitor and regulate the device’s pace depending on the state of your yard. When you purchase it, four adjustment points accompany plus a water hose meant for deck cleaning.
- It is capable of trimming grass almost in any terrain.
- Powerful and can comfortably mow large trucks of the yard.
- It’s a 4X4 wheel drive.
- It has an expansive cutting deck.
- It is noisy
7. Greenworks 25022 – Grass Cutting Machine
It is one of the most popular and best plugs in electrical grass cutters today. It features a 12 Amps flawless motor that ensures ease of operation and starts. Due to the high power of the motor, this trimmer is equipped with a 20-inch cutting deck. Consequently, you spend a shorter time on trimming.
On top of that, you can make different height adjustments as you wish. These begin from 1-1/2 to 3-3/4 inches. The ten and 7-inch rare and front wheels help in the cutter maneuverability and increase stability also. Finally, its handles can be folded to make it more compact for storage purposes.
- Has a broader cutting deck measuring 20 inches.
- The handles are comfortable to hold
- Doesn’t produce much noise
- It is easy to operate.
- Foldable handles to reduce storage space
- Has a cord for connecting to the power source.
- A bit expensive to operate.
8. Sun Joe iON16LM – Grass Cutting Machine
This compact size grass cutter is a good option instead of those corded power or electrical machines. It boasts of a powerful 600W motor that increases the battery capacity while maximizing performance. A 40V iONMAX battery powers it comfortably for forty minutes.
It is equipped with all-terrain wheels that make it capable of maneuvering through tight spaces. The padded handles are very comfortable to the hands, and users can work for a long without experiencing discomfort. On top of all that, this cutter allows six position adjustments to the height starting from 1.18 to 3.15 inches.
- Very quiet
- It is compact hence easy to carry and store.
- Has a lot of power.
- It is easy to operate.
- Long battery juices to finish big yards.
- Does not mulch if that is what you prefer.
- The grass box is too small and poorly designed such that it’s almost a must to drop grass clippings.
9. Snapper XD 82V MAX Cordless Electric 21″ Push Lawn Mower
If you want to experience crazy runtime supported by batteries, this is the model type to choose from. Snapper XD 82V MAX runs up to 90 minutes non-stop. Its two Lithium-ion batteries do this comfortably. Its 21-inch deck coupled with mulching, bagging, and side discharge make the whole trimming process very easy.
Also, Snapper XD 82V MAX uses intelligent load sensing technology for energy management purposes. When the load isn’t big, the power is rationed to equate that level. Depending on the lawn height, this cutter allows up to seven different adjustments. This ensures that you don’t strain when working. For easy powering, this cutter uses a push-button and on the lever.
- It is a three in one with mulching, bagging and side discharge capabilities.
- Has a wide cutting path.
- Runs on two lithium batteries that can power it for some hours.
- Push-button eases the powering dilemma.
- Not self-propelled o you have to push it yourself
- Cannot trim large field.
10. Honda HRX217K6HYA – Grass Cutting Machine
Honda GCV200 engine is powerful, fuel-efficient, and starts up fast. This cutter has varying speeds that you can regulate the way you want, and it is a self-propelled machine you don’t struggle with much.
Having MicroCut Twin Blades cut ultra-fine clippings for superior mulching and packing. 21-inch NeXite mowing deck prevents corrosion, rusting, and doesn’t dent.
- It is a self-propelled cutter
- The varied speed that you can regulate
- Uses double/twin blades
- It is expensive
- Without proper maintenance can not last long.
Key Consideration Before Buying Machine for Cutting Grass
Easy to Maintain
One thing is certain; no machine is perfect. So, make sure you can access spare parts of that grasscutter you intend to purchase. Having to import spare parts or labor for your cutter can be so inconvenient. Also, ensure that even if you can’t service the device yourself, it’s not too expensive. Don’t go for a too complicated cutter that even your local technicians may not be able to fix.
Cutting Deck Size
The size of your cutter deck determines the time you take to mow your yard. The larger the deck, the less time you’ll take to complete your cutting process. Therefore, when shopping for a grass cutter, the size of where you want to use it should be in mind. If you have an extensive tract of land, you’ll need a machine with a big-sized deck.
Self-propelled or Push Type
You need to consider your budget versus the efficiency you need in your grass cutter. Self-propelled grass cutters are expensive and more efficient than their push counterparts. If you want to use your machine on long and thick grass, the self-propelled types are the best. They are easy to operate and save you from straining.
The size of your cutter’s grass box will determine the number of emptying trips you’ll make when mowing. Additionally, the box size affects the weight of your mower. Therefore, you are not for the self-propelled models; this is important relative to the effort you want to put in. And also, who will be using the machine mostly.
Weight is such a vital factor to consider in a grass cutter. A good cutter should be lightweight. This is to facilitate easy maneuvering when operating it. Heavyweight cutters are also hard to store. It’ll be hard for one operator to use and return without struggling.
The noise level is worth considering, especially if you have neighbors. Your trimming exercise should not be a nuisance to your neighbors. This calls for choosing between an electrical or a gas-powered grass cutter.
Naturally, the gas-powered units have higher decibels compared to electrical ones. Therefore, if you don’t want your machine noise disturbing others, consider going for an electrical type. However, if your top priority is efficiency, the gas cutters will carry the day.
Safe to Use
You should not get hurt in the process of making your compound neat. Since these machines are very powerful, that’s why it is advisable to choose a grass cutter that is both safe and easy to use. After all, complicated gadgets are hard to operate; hence are the easiest to hurt you.
Your cutter should have safety features and a user manual to guide you on how to assemble and use it. Cutters with blade protective covers are preferred to those without. The handlebars should also be comfortable as they act as steering. You should also ensure that you wear eye protection. It’ll protect you against anything that the blade may throw at you.
Warranty is significant when purchasing expensive machines. Warranty one shows that the company is willing to guarantee efficiency and trust in their product. Sometimes also you may realize that the product doesn’t deliver to your expectation. In case of efficiency or accidental breakage, you won’t have to stay with a faulty device.
You should therefore consider cutters with more extended warranty coverage. Before accepting the warranty also, it is advisable to read its terms and condition as some are very shady. Some may require you to pay the extra or half cost for a new machine. A good warranty should provide a 100% replacement in case of inefficiency or technical faults. When settling on a warranty, make sure you consider the frequency of use.
Aim at purchasing familiar and well-tested brands. This way you’ll be sure of better service. Today, various mushrooming grass cutters manufacturers have cropped up. Whereas their products may be good, you need to try and understand their products. You can do this by reading online reviews from people who have used the product. If you notice a brand with many negative reviews, you better avoid it.
Also, different brands have different features, costs, and even durability. You can also ensure that the brand of your choice has a local branch. It can save you the hustle of online engagements as you can visit their local offices for assistance.
Your budget determines the model and the features you can access. You should be careful not to purchase a skeletal grass cutter without additional features to help you operate it with ease. More feature-rich machines will be more expensive, but their efficiency is fulfilling.
So, if money is not a limitation, aim at purchasing a device with the most features. If you have a small budget, seek to exploit all the available methods to acquire a cutter that will serve you to satisfaction. You can ask for a demo to test whether all the features are working correctly.
How Do You Use a Grass Cutting Machine?
A grass cutting machine uses different types of blades depending on what weed the machine is cutting. It can be either gas or electric powered depending on the efficiency the owner wants. To trim the grass, you hold the cutter by the handlebars and move the unit from left to right. The mowed grass goes to the grass box. You should keep your eye on the box to empty the grass bag in case it is full or when it’s too heavy. You should also ensure that you change the blades depending on what type of foliage you are working on.
How to Maintain Your Grass Cutting Machine?
Grass cutting machines are a massive investment, and you should maintain them to ensure you are not back to shops again after a short while. Below are some of the tricks you can apply to lengthen your cutters lifespan and keep it more efficient;
Clean the deck after use: it helps to prevent the blades from corrosion and other metallic parts of the tool. Rust eats metals, and without proper protection, your grass cutter cannot last long.
Tighten all the clamping before use: As you use the tool, some nuts may loosen. You should therefore check all the screws and blades before powering it on to avoid accidents.
Check the electrical connector: If you are using the electrical grass cutting machine, keep an eye on the electrical cables. In case it wears out, replace it with time to ensure efficiency. You should also take care of the cable not to come in contact with the blade when working.
If you are using the thermal grass cutting machine, you should be more active in maintaining your machine. Some of these practices include;
- You should check the state of the filter, oil, and fuel level before using it. After refueling for three or four times, you should consider changing the filters.
- To ensure smooth operation, keep checking the airflow when using to make sure that the cooling system works perfectly.
- Depending on how often you use your cutter, consider checking the spark plug. You can do this after two or three months to always maintain your cutter’s power high. Whenever you realize the plug is worn out, replace it immediately. This can be done after a year or less, depending on how your tool is active.
- Change the oil at least once a year and keep checking the drive belts as well.
Being cautious when operating a grass cutter is very important. These tools can easily cause accidents if you don’t take safety precautions. Below are some tips that can help you operate your cutter without injuring yourself or others;
- Before doing anything with your newly acquired cutter, read the manual that comes with the device. Read the installation, operation, and maintenance guide. Then follow all the steps, and in case you don’t understand some instructions, you better look for professional help.
- After assembling, countercheck the fixing of the components before using.
- When in the field clearing the grass, avoid any obstacles or projections that can hurt you destroy the unit. You can do this by carrying out a ground survey before you start the mowing. Be sure to remove anything that can be moved and mark the rest to void during the exercise.
- Always don the correct protective gear before starting work. These include the goggles to protect your eyes, long pants, boots, etc. If you are sensitive to noise, you can wear earplugs.
Armed with our tips and suggestions, you can be sure to get the best grass-cutting machine for your lawn. This guide will also help you make the best use of your unit and maintain it. Every product featured in our top best list is affordable, easy to operate, and efficient. Now it’s upon you to make your decision based on your needs and budget. Do not let your compound grass stay unkempt when you have an option to make it better and even worth coveting. Get yourself a powerful grass cutter and make yourself a scenery to behold just outside your home, office, etc.