Would you like to optimize the security of your garage at home? There are many things that you should consider. From installing automatic garage doors to reprogramming your garage door keypad, there is a wide spectrum of options to choose from. This way, you will be able to restrict the entry of an intruder to your garage when you are away at work or on vacation. Consequently, your car will remain safe and other items that you have put in the garage. These are some of precautionary measures that can greatly help step-up the security of your home. In this article, we shall discuss reasons to reprogram your garage door keypad and other considerations that you should make.
Why Reprogram Your Garage Door Keypad?
There are many reasons why you might think of reprogramming your garage door keypad. First, you can consider taking this initiative if you had given the code to a service technician. The technician might have completed the assigned task but your car might be at risk.
Since he knows the code, anything might happen. With the rising cases of car theft, you should not leave anything to chance. Therefore, do not hesitate to reprogram your garage door keypad.
Also, consider reprogramming your garage door keypad, if you have relocated to a new home and it has a new garage that is fully automated. In this case, you should not take chances because the previous owner or anyone who used to live there might have access to your garage anytime he or she pleases. This way, you will prevent anyone from accessing your garage when you are not there.
Also, you might have lost your garage door remote and you have fears that someone might have access to your garage. Although you might buy a new remote, you might have to reprogram the entire keypad so as to prevent chances of an intruder accessing your garage even at night. Such is usually the case if someone collected the remote and wants to access your garage when you are away or asleep.
Besides the above-mentioned 3 reasons ,you might generally want to limit the number of people who have access to your garage back at home. For instance, you might have a disgruntled family member or an ex-boyfriend or girlfriend who has access to the garage door and knows the previous code. In this case, you might have to change the code of your garage door keypad to restrict any unauthorized entry.
Finally, you might live in an area that has high cases of insecurity. In this case, there is need to reprogram your garage door keypad so that you can optimize the security of your garage in general. This has actually worked well for many homeowners out there.
Reprogram Process For A Garage Door Keypad
Before you start the above-mentioned undertaking you should ensure that you have a few items such as:
- A ladder
- Your garage door opener remote
- Someone else to lend a hand
One you have the above-mentioned requirements, here are the steps that you should follow:
- Position your ladder such that you can reach the garage door opener motor and then safely climb on top
- Thereafter, locate the ‘learn’ button on the side of the motor. Press and hold the button until the adjacent light turns off. This shows that the old code has been erased from memory.
- Press the ‘Learn’ button again and thereafter you will see the light come back on.
- Ask you enter the new code on the wall-mounted garage door opener keypad. Once he enters the new code, you will see the light on the motor blink, indicating that the new code has successfully been recorded.
- Thereafter, press the ‘Learn’ button once again and then press any button on your garage door opener remote control. Here, you should see the light on the motor blink, indicating that everything has been a success.
- It is important that you do the same for each of your remotes so not to leave any of your loved ones stranded in case you are not around.
As you reset the garage door keypad, you should ensure that you have replaced the batteries. This is because the previous batteries’ charge might have been depleted. With new batteries, the keypad should work perfectly.
You can even press any of the buttons and see if the LED lights up. Sometimes, this might be hard to see during the day and therefore, you should look at it closely. The good news is that no programming is lost during battery replacement.
Should You Reprogram Any Of The Garage Door Remotes As Well?
Yes. You should reprogram your remote as well so that your loved ones are not stranded once you have reprogrammed your garage door keypad. However, the good news is that resetting the remote control is quite easier the above-mentioned method. Here are the steps that you should follow:
- Hold on to the garage door opener and then hold your preferred button on your remote control. Thereafter, hold down the learn button on the opener and then release both buttons simultaneously.
- Test and see if your resetting has been successful. You can do this by pressing the programmed button and then your garage door will either open or close. If this happen, you should know that the entire resetting process has been successful.
- You can go ahead and program other remotes that you have. This way, you will be sure that everyone will have access to the garage even after resetting the garage door’s keypad.
As you reprogram your garage door’s keypad, you should avoid using obvious codes such as 1234 or 0000.This is because thieves have a clue about such codes and if you have used them as your favorite codes, your car and other items might be at risk. Therefore, there is need to use a more complicated code that will be difficult to guess. Only you and the loved ones should know this code.
Signs That You Should Reprogram Your Garage Door Keypad
Programming your garage door keypad once is never enough. Sometimes, you might have to reprogram it due to one reason or another. Here are telltale signs that you should reprogram your garage door keypad soon:
1. After batter replacement
Sometimes, the batteries of your garage door keypad might run out of charge due to regular use. As a result, you might have to replace them so that your garage door keypad can work optimally. Although some garage door openers are able to retain the former programming even after changing the batteries, there are others that have to be programmed afresh. If yours belongs to the latter category, you might have to reprogram the garage door keypad once again.
2. Bad battery connection
If your garage door keypad has battery connection issues, you might have to reprogram it as soon as possible. A good example is when your garage door opener has been exposed to dirt. Here, the battery contacts can have a bad connection.
Besides this, the same problem can be experienced with older keypads. At some point, they are prone to corrosion due to harsh weather elements among other factors. Such issues might damage the batteries’ ability to provide the much-needed power to the garage door and as a result you might have to reprogram your garage door keypad soonest possible.
3. After an extended power outage
If you have ever experienced an extended power outage, you might have to reprogram the garage door keypad once power resumes. This is because the internal computer system that helps the remote system to operate can get wiped due to such occurrences. However, once you reprogram it, you will be able to open and close the garage seamlessly once again.
1. How often should you reprogram your garage door keypad?
Unless your garage is receiving huge amounts of vehicle traffic, you should reprogram your garage door keypad at least once in every 6 months.
2. Can I reprogram the garage door keypad on my own?
Yes. You can do this on your own. However, you need another person to key in the code for you. If this proves to be difficult for you, you can hire a professional to do this for you. This way, you will be able to save more time and get perfect results.
3. How long does the reprogramming process take?
This process is relatively easy if you are a pro. It can take about 45 minutes for it to be successful. However, if you have a technician, it might a shorter period than 45 minutes.
4. Why should you install a garage door keypad?
By installing a garage door keypad, you will not have to worry about losing keys to your garage. Everything here will be automated and as long as one has the garage opener remote, he or she will be able to make entry and exist anytime that one pleases. Besides this, it helps optimize the security of your garage and consequently enable you have some peace of mind even when you are away from your home.
With the rise of car theft on the rise, the importance of reprogramming your garage door keypad cannot be overemphasized. The good news is that you can do this on your own or better still hire an expert. It all depends on what works well for you. The above-mentioned steps can help you get started. Follow them today and you will keep burglary and car theft at bay.