While the summer warmth may be a welcome thing to many people, indoor temperatures sometimes can rise to unbearable degrees. If its summer and you feel temperatures are getting out of control in your house, a dehumidifier air conditioner is all you need. This is one of the simplest tools that can give you that regulated indoor climate.
A dehumidifier air conditioner is a dual-purpose device. It can eliminate both moisture and humidity from the atmosphere and lower the overall temperatures of your room at the same time. Whereas each unit can independently perform its functions, the combination aspect makes it more convenient and space-friendly. Even though you may not need both services, purchasing a multi-functioning system is crucial as it saves you money in case you may need both.
Do Air Conditioners Dehumidify?
Yes. However, this is not the primary role of the device. Dehumidification happens as a result of the cooling process of the air conditioner. The air conditioner uses a chemical refrigerant that flowing through its system. The cold refrigerant flows over the evaporator coils to cool the hot air in your room. As it does this, it takes in the heat from the room – basically, an air conditioner is more of a heat remover than an air chiller.
The refrigerant flows outside to both the condenser and compressor. The compressor compresses it to release any excess heat, then flows back, and the cycle continues.
Difference Between a Portable Air Conditioner and a Dehumidifier
The major difference between the portable air conditioner and the dehumidifier is in the venting system structure. The portable air conditioner has condenser coils similar to the dehumidifiers’ in the same unit. Unlike the separate dehumidifier units which perform only one task, portable air conditioners perform both tasks under one roof.
Since they are a combination of units, the portable air conditioners can purify the air by removing the mold and mildew spores that result from moisture in the air and cool the temperatures at the same time.
Do I Need a Dehumidifier or Air Conditioner?
What you need depends on your primary objective. A dehumidifier’s function is to remove the excess humidity in a room and not cause a significant temperature drop. The air conditioner, on the other hand, reduces both humidity and temperature. However, its main focus is on the temperature drop. Therefore, you can use dehumidifiers if humidity is your problem and don’t need significant cooling. If your problem is high temperatures, the air conditioner is the recommended device. It will serve both purposes by default.
More advanced technology has been used to combine the two functionalities. This has led to the emergence of the combo appliance that can perform the two tasks under the same unit. The dehumidifier air conditioners can work as both strong dehumidifiers and air conditioners. This means you can comfortably use your unit exclusively as a dehumidifier during the winter season and switch it to an air conditioner during summer.
Top 10 Best Multi-Functioning Dehumidifier Air Conditioner
1. MIDEA MAP08R1CWT 3-in-1 Portable Air Conditioner
This is our number one dehumidifier air conditioner from the MIDEA Company. The manufacturer is well known for laundry, environmental, and kitchen appliances.
This is one of the most convenient and efficient air conditioner/dehumidifiers. You can adjust its settings using pushbuttons, remote control via Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and Alexa.
The unit’s 24-hour time allows you to set your preferred temperature and function mode for a fixed period. The timer setting feature helps to reduce overall energy consumption, thus reducing the cost of operation. The temperature range can be anywhere between 620F to 900F.
Additionally, this great combo unit uses a washable and replaceable air filter. It is crucial for clean air devoid of dust particles or any external solid contaminants. The experts also recommend washing the filter at least once a month to lengthen its lifespan and increase performance.
The 8,000 BTU rating is enough for cooling an extensive area up to about 150Sq. Feet. In case you want to use an exclusive service, MIDEA MAP08R1CWT has three options; cooling, dehumidification, and fan. All those, you can turn one fully and switch off the rest.
- Allows button and remote control
- Incorporates modern technology i.e., Alexa
- It has a 24-hour timer that can help in power consumption.
- Uses easily washable and replaceable filters.
- The power rating can only cover a limited area of up to 150 sq. Feet
- It is expensive
2. Serene Life 10,000 Portable Air Conditioner
It is another awesome, very portable dehumidifier air conditioner customized for use everywhere in your home. It has wheels such that you can move it from the living room to the bedroom and even to the garage.
Unlike the previous product, Serene Life has four different modes to work independently when you shut off others. These include; cooling, dehumidifier, heating, and fan. The other important features present include the automatic swing that facilitates maximum air circulation.
The unit also allows remote and button control measures. It has a powerful digital power button panel with power, timer, mode, temperatures, and speed settings. With its high 10,000 BTU cooling and 9,000 BTU heating power, the humidifier is one of the best for economic value.
- Has wheels; hence moving it around isn’t hard.
- It has four different modes, including fan, heating, cooling, and dehumidifier.
- Allows remote and button control.
- The automatic swing feature helps to facilitate optimal airflow.
- It has a short life span.
- It may work for a short while before stopping completely.
- Very noisy.
3. Rosewill Portable Air Conditioner 12000 BTU AC Fan Dehumidifier & Heater
Our third product is this four-mode unit with a unique self-evaporating system. It can be used as an air conditioner, dehumidifier, fan, and heater. The self-evaporating technology removes moisture from the room, thus eliminating the need for emptying the condensed water. Otherwise, this can only happen in the case where the humidity is too high.
The unit has a 24 hours timer that you can use to automate its functions. You can set it to sleep mode, auto on/off regulate the speed, etc. This is crucial, especially when you want to cut off the operation cost.
If you are looking for an A/C to use in a single room, this device’s design is awesome. It is very portable with caster wheels, and its design is for a single room. So, if you want to heat/cool your college, home, or garage, you can consider this. It has a LED display and a touch panel supporting remote control.
- Allows remote control thus very convenience
- The 24-hour timer is crucial in managing energy consumption.
- The LED display helps in heat regulation.
- The self-evaporation system eliminates the need for constant removal of condensation waters.
- The caster wheels make it more portable.
- It has low BTU at about only 12,000, which means it can only work in small areas.
- Very noisy.
- Doesn’t incorporate modern technology such as Wi-Fi or Alexa.
4. MIDEA EasyCool Window Air Conditioner
This is yet another MIDEA product using 3 in one technology. The unit combines three modes of operation, i.e., air conditioning, dehumidification, and fan. The three options give you the freedom to control your home climate the way you want it.
The device has about 8,000 BTU, and that ensures efficiency within areas below 350 square feet.
Additionally, the unit has very intuitive features that include an LED display and remote control. The display makes setting modification very simple.
The other good thing is it comes with all the installation kits. This makes the process very easy. However, you may be required to drill your holes before using the final screws.
- Easy to install, and you can follow the DIY methodology.
- The installation kits are provided for
- Incorporates three services under one roof.
- Has BTU ratings of 8,000
- The LED display allows you to make adjustments with confidence.
- Doesn’t have an instruction manual of any kind.
- It can comfortably serve a small area about 350 sq. feet.
5. De’Longhi 3-in-1 Portable Air Conditioner
De’Longhi 3-in-1 dehumidifier air condition uses advanced technology known as cool surround. This is a sensing technology that is capable of monitoring the position, temperature, and humidity of the room. What this feature does is that it tries to maintain your optimal surroundings.
An outstanding fact about this unit is that it is very quiet. Its noise level is at 4dBA lower than even a normal human conversation. With just a whisper, it generates a stream of very cold air with the ability to lower efficiently 700 sq. feet.
Using advanced features such as ECO real feel makes it possible to save energy up to 30%. De’Longhi is the only AC capable of monitoring both the temperature and humidity, equally balancing the two parameters to get your preferred comfort.
- Uses advanced features such as ECO real feel and cool surround.
- It is capable of balancing the humidity and temperature to customize your room climate.
- Very quiet with four dBA noise level.
- Reduces energy consumption by almost 30%.
- The touch remote is not very responsive
- Comes with a very short hose
6. Black + Decker BPACT10WT Portable Air Conditioner
This is a three in one dehumidifier, air conditioner, and fan. The unit can be fully controlled using a remote control. It has the self-evaporation feature that ensures the water of condensation is eliminated from the system. You’ll realize that this is the heartbeat of a customizable portable air conditioner. You can remove, wash, or replace the air filter.
Measuring about 16.5 X 11.5 X 26, this compact portable air conditioner operates with an environmentally friendly refrigerant. It is best for small rooms that run up to 250Sq. Feet. In the same way it is small, the unit is easy to install. All you need to do is roll it to the room where you want to operate. Then after that, open the windows and hang the hose.
- It is very quiet
- The wheels increase its stability.
- BTU ratings of 6,000 BTU
- Very compact hence doesn’t occupy much space.
- Uses an environmentally friendly refrigerant.
- Small hence only efficient to small areas maximum of 250 sq feet.
- You must replace the filter frequently.
- May drip in case of increased humid levels.
7. Whynter Elite ARC-122DS 12,000 BTU Dual Hose Portable Air Conditioner
The distinguishing feature of the Whynter Elite ARC-122DS portable air conditioner is its dual hose system and compact nature. This unit offers more efficient cooling and space utilization in homes.
This portable air conditioner operates under three modes, I.e., the fan, dehumidifier, and air conditioner. You don’t need to be physically next to it to control it as it can be controlled remotely.
Whynter Elite ARC-122DS is a multiple award-winning units, and therefore you have every reason to trust it. The thermostatic controller with a digital readout and the 24-hour timer are some of the outstanding features that define this unit.
- It’s a multiple award-winning unit.
- It can function as a fan, dehumidifier, and fan.
- Uses a full thermostatic controller
- Has got a long extensible hose about 60.”
- Very noisy when operating
- It is expensive compared to its features.
8. JHS 8,000 BTU Small Portable Air Conditioner
If summer is catching up with you and you want a simple portable air conditioner for your bedroom, apartment, kitchen, etc., this might be all you need. This unit has a BTU rating of 8,000 that ensures quick cooling. This combo system contains three operation modes that you can choose one from.
For portability purposes, the device has four stainless caster wheels and a steady handle that you can use to push it around. After purchase, if you do not transport it in an upright position, you will wait for 24 hours.
From anywhere in your room, you can control your unit as you want remotely. When making any adjustments, it shows on the board.
- It has a wide cooling surface area, which ensures efficiency.
- It has three operation modes you can choose.
- Equipped with four stainless wheels and a handle to facilitate portability
- It has a 24-hour timer.
- If you don’t transport in an upright position, you must have to wait for 24 hours.
- Produces noise when operating.
9. GE Appliances 13,500 BTU Single Hose 3-IN-1 Portable Air Conditioner
This is a single hose portable air conditioner. It is capable of delivering very high cooling effects due to its high-power rating of 9,000. It can efficiently cool rooms measuring 550 sq. Feet.
The auto evaporation feature eliminates the water present in the unit without the need to collect a bucket. The unit can be used as a fan, dehumidifier, or air conditioner. A digital thermostat present in this unit helps to automate the heating process.
- It can sufficiently cool/heat a large surface area of about 550 sq.
- Has an automatic digital thermostat for efficient heat control
- The auto evaporation feature removes water hence no need to struggle with water buckets.
- It can be used as a fan, dehumidifier, and air conditioner.
- The exhaust hole may not be compatible with all windows.
- In the case of excessive humidity, it can easily trip.
10. Emerson Quiet Kool 150-Sq. Ft, EAPC8RD1 Portable Air Conditioner
Emerson Quiet Koolcloses our top ten list of best dehumidifier’s air conditioners. It has one of the craziest warranty offers referred to as 1-2-5. This means one year of labor, two years of its parts, and five years on the compressor. We can say this is one of the most secure A/C that you can use with confidence.
The unit has 8,000 BTU (ASHRAE)/4900 BTU (DOE), enabling it to quietly cool small rooms. Being one of the quietest A/C, it can be comfortably used in nurseries, bedrooms, and offices.
The auto evaporation system removes water resulting from the dehumidification process. Therefore, you don’t need to keep monitoring the water levels to remove manually with this unit. The same case applies to temperature regulation. The 24-hour timer can automate everything and let the unit drive it as you enjoy your home’s comfort. Just like the other units, you don’t need to purchase other standalone devices depending on the reasons. You can just customize your portable air conditioner and use it for exclusive functions.
- It’s a three in one unit.
- The higher BUT ratings enable it to cool or heat a considerably wide area.
- The warranty covers the unit for a long time.
- The 24-hour timer is essential in automating operations.
- Ice can sometimes form and block the airflow.
- Doesn’t have a display interface.
What to Look for Before Buying Air Conditioner with Dehumidifier
How Much Cooling Power Do I Need?
The unit’s BTU ratings determine the maximum area an air conditioner can cool effectively. You should be aware of the room’s size where you want to use your portable A/C. This will consequently affect the size of your unit. The higher the BTU ratings, the higher the area the unit can cool well.
Some people tend to think of purchasing higher-rated units than their space is the best option. However, this is a misplaced notion. Bigger A/Cs will consume more electricity, which adds to the operation cost hence negating any saving plan.
If you need heating or cooling different rooms, it would be better to purchase small air conditioners each for every room. Buying a huge air conditioner to move from one room to another is not efficient. The location of the room also affects the state of your room. For example, rooms that face the west are likely to stay warmer at night.
The rate of energy consumption is always equivalent to the size of the air conditioner. Some models will display the cost of running the specific air conditioners alongside the EER number.
The best way to regulate consumption will be by choosing a unit with a programmable thermostat. The feature will automatically turn off the unit when the desired temperature is achieved. This will allow you to save energy that would otherwise have been wasted, increasing temperatures higher.
Portable air conditioners require outdoor venting with an exhaust hose. Different units come with varied-sized window kits capable of covering the openings and leaving enough hose exit space.
There are models also that come with long exhaust hoses such that the unit can stand a distance away from the window. This allowance gives you the freedom to position your air conditioner the way you want.
Models with short-sized hoses will force you to mount your unit close to the window hence give you limited options. Therefore, you should check the unit’s length before purchasing to ensure it won’t disadvantage you. Preferably, go for models that you can replace the shorter hoses with longer ones if need be.
Dual vs. Single Hose
The type of hose you choose will determine the efficiency of your unit. The dual hose air conditioners have two hoses; one for capturing the air in the room for cooling purposes and the other to get rid of the heat. Dual hose units are more energy efficient compared to their single counterparts. They reduce the cooling time by approximately 40%.
Single hose models have only one hose doubling as the exhaust and air inflow path. The same hose is used to get rid of the unit’s heat and bring air from the room for cooling. Therefore, single-hose units must work harder to achieve satisfying results.
All portable air conditioners have various components that produce a lot of noise when operating. However, different models have got different noise levels. Noise can be a nuisance, especially at night, when you need to catch some sleep and rest. So, you need to consider a unit that won’t impede a comfortable night’s sleep.
Some brands provide noise information in terms of decibels (dB). It is upon you to inquire or investigate the noise level of the product you want to purchase. You can do this by reading customer reviews about the product online. Most units will generate noise of up to 65dB, equivalent to a normal human conversation noise.
Ease of Installation and Use
How easy the system is to install is very important. Most portable air conditioners come with instruction manuals on how to install the unit. You should avoid any unit without proper documentation. Most of them require adequate placement of the hoses and window kits. Their filtration system may use a washable and reusable filter that you must replace often.
Some may require an outside collecting point for condensed liquid. Other units allow you to vent the fluid outdoors. If your unit relies on a collecting vessel, you may be required to empty it constantly. All these instructions should be properly laid out in the user’s manual.
It is important to consider unit size as it helps establish the space required and the unit portability. If you are looking for a unit that you can move from the living room to the bedroom at night at vice versa, size is crucial. Some units are equipped with wheels or casters just to push or pull the unit. Others don’t have this feature. So, if you want a portable A/C, the unit size becomes very crucial.
Again, your unit size should be directly proportional to the storage space available. You shouldn’t purchase a product that will not fit in your intended position.
Portable air conditioners cost hundreds to thousands of dollars. The cost of an air conditioner is based on its features and size. The cost of operation is also among the factors that raise or lower an A/C cost.
When deciding, choose a portable air conditioner with the lowest operating cost. These are the ones considered the most efficient. Units with high EER numbers have low operation costs. You should also remember to check whether the device has an energy star label. To close it all, consider how often the filters will require replacement.
Tips for Maximizing the Efficiency
To get the best from your portable air conditioner, we’ve compiled a list of tricks you may not be familiar with. You don’t need to be a pro to put these techniques into practice. They include;
- Proper placement: place your unit away from direct sunlight. This helps to avoid engaging your unit with unnecessary additional heat. So, if, for example, you are placing your device in a room with two or one window, look for the most shadowy position. It can be a spot where the wall casts its shadow or at a corner.
- Proper ventilation: you should always use the window kit that comes with the unit for maximum ventilation. You are also supposed to follow the installation guide to the latter, ensuring that the hoses are always straight. That will ensure that the air flows effectively without having to meander through kinks and bends.
- Regular maintenance: Just like any other electrical appliance, constant maintenance will increase your AC efficiency. Not only should you perform frequent servicing to the device, but the general room housing it as well. You should keep the room clean and replace the unit filters on time. The frequency of your maintenance should be determined by the user manual’s recommendations or the state of its location. You may have your portable air conditioner operating in a dusty room. The maintenance rate won’t be as for those in less dusty regions.
You have a variety of dehumidifier air conditioners at your disposal. It’s upon you to decide which one best suits you as per your needs. Your device should be the right size, with good ratings, and within your budget.
Fact that you are purchasing for a combo unit, you don’t have to compromise quality. The device you purchase should be able to generate warm air just as a normal standard unit would. You should also ensure what the installation kits the providers offer and how they will favor you.
Shopping for your portable air conditioner shouldn’t be a one-time affair. You can take all the time you want to ensure you get the quality you want. Read online reviews and ask questions where you don’t understand. This way, you will be able to get the best product that won’t disappoint you. You may spend a significantly higher amount of money on portable air conditioners, but they are worth every penny. You will have a multifunctional unit that automatically regulates your home climate.