If you live in a busy street or busy environment, noise pollution is a common problem you’ll experience. The street activities can be very disturbing, and find it hard to catch sleep in such situations. If you have been wondering what to do with that deafening noise entering your home, ask no more. You’ve got the soundproofing curtains. These are a special type of curtains made with sound-absorbent materials. They are a direct and straightforward way of canceling noise pollution and create a more conducive home.
These are not only useful at home. You can use soundproofing curtains almost anywhere, including studios, baby care homes, and hospitals. They are not very different from the normal curtains in design and looks. Therefore, it will be very easy to blend them into your home décor. In this detailed guide, we provide vital information when shopping for noise-canceling curtains. We also suggest the 10 best soundproofing curtains model you can go for with high efficiency.
Let’s enjoy this together!
Do Soundproofing Curtains Really Work?
You might be wondering, are soundproof curtains really worth all the hype? I would say yes. Although, the thing is, don’t expect 100% noise insulation with these products. Their degree of success also greatly relies on your choices; the type of materials making your curtain, their color, size, among many others. Therefore, don’t just pick any premium-priced curtain with a soundproof tag and think it will serve you. Whenever you are shopping for various brands, know that your choice of multiple factors is critical.
Thanks to the nature and design of these curtains. They have thick and soft layers that absorb the noise from both outside and inside your room. This way, they help to maintain a noticeably quieter environment inside. So, if you are asking yourself questions, you better try them. However, the amount of noise you are experiencing could be too high for the curtains to suppress. In such a case, you should use them alongside other noise cancellation products. A good example of such is the soundproof windows and the weather stripping tape. It might be expensive, but a noise-free environment is rewarding.
How Soundproof Curtains Work?
Contrary to what most people think, soundproof curtains do not block sound. Instead, they use many fibers in the fabric to absorb the sound. So, when the noise from outside hits the curtain, it doesn’t reflect. However, in some instances, both effects can be experienced.
As they prevent external noise, soundproof curtains also seek to seal your room. They minimize the reverberation within the room and contain any sound produced in the house inside.
Advantages of Soundproofing Curtains
- Noise reduction: Designed for this function, soundproofing curtains are a natural way of reducing noise. Therefore, we can call it an eco-friendly method of noise reduction. All you need is to purchase your soundproof curtain and install them, and you’re good to go. The curtain will provide a deadening noise area- here, noise from outside is absorbed and dampened. That from outside will also face the same effects and the result is a quieter environment.
- Thermal insulation: Due to their thickness, soundproof curtains act as room insulators. They maintain temperature balance inside the room. During winter, they prevent heat loss, and during summer, they stop heat penetration from outside. You may not need AC in your room if you have the right quality, soundproof curtains.
- Easy to install: Soundproof curtains installation is a DIY process. You don’t need to pay anyone to do it for you. However, you may need help in lifting them because most of them are heavyweight.
- Light blocking: This is both an advantage and a disadvantage. It is advantageous when the light is blocked from an unneeded place, such as a bedroom. If you find it hard to sleep due to a lot of light entering through the window, it might be the right time to act. A proper curtain can completely darken your room and make it easier for you to catch sleep.
- Beauty: Soundproofing curtains are not very different from standard curtains. Therefore, instead of having two curtain layers, you can easily match them with your home décor. This way, they will serve two purposes at the same time: Cancel the noise and beautify your home.
Disadvantages of Soundproofing Curtains
- Very heavy: Soundproof curtains are naturally heavyweight due to the thick and heavy materials used. Also, some attribute their weight to their many layers. This becomes a problem when installing them. It may be challenging for one person to set them up. Also, if your house curtain rods aren’t strong enough, it can be very unsafe to operate them. If they break when opening or closing your curtain, you can easily sustain injuries.
- Blocking light: This is a disadvantage whenever the light is blocked from rooms that need natural light. A good example is the sitting room. You need lighting here for daily errands. If the curtains cut off the light, you’ll have to use artificial lighting, resulting in a high energy bill.
10 Best Exclusive Design Curtains For Soundproofing
Every curtain featured on our list has a unique characteristic that distinguishes it from others, either; size, thickness, texture, among others. Make your home soundproof with any of the following curtains, and you won’t regret it;
1. H.VERSAILTEX Linen Curtains
These curtains are the epitome of sound canceling and thermal insulation. They also offer good blackout in your home. If this is what you are looking for, these are the curtains you want. They carry along with the top features that people look for in soundproof curtains.
They are large in size and heavyweight. Each panel measures 52X108 inches. The large surface area is very important as it is the sound deadening surface. In addition, this thick and large surface aid in light blockage. The thermal insulation will help to keep your room temperatures balanced.
Suppose you have never heard of warranties on fabrics, not until you meet these sound dampening curtains. They have an eight-year quality warranty which is good enough for your money. If anything happens to your pair within this period, they will be replaced free of charge. Considering their affordable cost, H. Versailtex Classic is worth looking at.
- They are very efficient in soundproofing
- Made of faux linen blackout fabric
- Have a unique and elegant design
- They are of standard size
- Easy to install due to the copper grommets
- They offer only 80% protection against UV rays
- They don’t offer great room darkening.
2. Deconovo Blackout Grommet Curtains
All Deconovo soundproof curtains feature great design. This makes them more elegant and the best choice for refined homes. Made of polyester, these blackout grommet curtains perform great work in keeping off the noise. Be it in your busy street where dogs are barking and traffic buzzing, these curtains will suppress them all.
Also, their design allows them to block a great percentage of sunlight. The color you choose will greatly determine the efficiency of light blockage. An interesting part is that you can also use these curtains on sliding doors too. You can easily wash them with your hands even without artificial softeners.
- Have an elegant design
- They offer variable light elimination
- They use super soundproof technology
- Come in different colors and sizes
- They are affordable
- They are poor in thermal regulation
- They allow a lot of light penetration.
3. RYB HOME 100% Blackout Curtains
RYB HOME is one of the thickest curtains that will give your home 100% blackout. It is a three-layered curtain with a detachable felt fabric in the middle. The layers are very excellent in blocking both sound and light from your house. Even if they don’t offer 100% sealing, you can be assured of 99% protection.
The attached thermal layer will slash a few bucks from your energy bill. It prevents the heat from escaping the room during winter. During summer, this layer performs a reverse function by shielding your room against temperature surges.
In addition to preventing your home from noise pollution, these curtains help in catching dust particles. This helps to keep another pollutant away from your home. If you purchase these curtains, please remove the felt liners before throwing them in the washing machine. So, there’s no struggling when it comes to keeping your home tidy.
- They are three-layered curtains
- Very useful in soundproofing
- They come in different sizes
- The detachable felt liner increases the insulation
- They are excellent in light blockage.
- They are slightly expensive
- The white color of the felt liner isn’t attractive to everyone.
4. NICETOWN 3 Pass Blackout Window
These are among the most versatile curtains in the market. One reason is that they come in a variety of shapes and sizes and color schemes. The different patterns bring nothing more than beauty in homes alongside powerful noise cancellation.
They are packaged in pairs to ensure full coverage of the target windows. The 1.6-inch grommets also enable them to fit in most rods. Their soundproof technology isn’t as powerful as the light blockage. They are heavyweight with extra lining, which offers high noise absorption. These ensure that you won’t compromise style in pursuit of a silent home.
- Made of triple fabric
- Has a dual-layer design
- Excellent for ambient soundproofing
- Come in 6 different sizes
- They are light filters instead of blackouts
- They are too short for big windows.
5. NICETOWN Starry Sky Kids Curtains
These curtains are the epitome of beauty. They depict a kid-friendly look despite the choice of color. However, these curtains are very heavy, and their installation isn’t a walk in the park. You may have to request an extra hand to mount the single panel. The extra weight is important as it translates to better noise cancellation. These curtains are best for your kids’ room or in the nursery. The hollow star design shapes light into beautiful shapes. The twinkling stars provide an ambient environment for your kids.
The three-layered technique found in other NICETOWN curtains features in these. They will eliminate noise in your room as well as block light. There are no chemical coatings, thus are eco-friendly kinds of drapes. This color doesn’t also fade as long as you don’t use bleaches or hot water.
- Beautifully designed
- They have efficient in noise cancellation
- They are energy efficient
- No chemical coating making them eco friendly
- They are a bit expensive
- They do not block light.
6. Flamingo P 100% Blackout curtains
If you want to balance soundproofing and elegance in your room, you may want to check these flamingo curtains. Crafted with double luxury material, these curtains are purely natural. The front side has a silky texture-soft and smooth thick fabric, which is very effective in noise cancellation and room darkening. They are also very stylish, so you don’t have to compromise your home decor. These curtains are super-efficient in noise cancellation, light blocking, and energy conservation.
You can buy a single or double panel depending on the size of your windows. A single panel measures 100 X 84 inches. You can be sure of getting a curtain fit for your home. However, they are not effective in terms of sound cancellation. You may need more powerful curtains if you live in a very noisy environment.
The double-layer features have a black lining. According to the manufacturer, this lining is capable of blocking 100% light and UV rays. The grommets offer a simpler way of installing them. In terms of maintenance, these curtains are machine washable. You should, however, never use hot water or bleaches.
- They come in both single and double
- They are luxurious
- Have a variety of colors
- They are easy to clean as they are machine washable
- They are also easy to install
- They are pricey
- Not effective in very noisy environments
7. NICETOWN Full Shading Curtains
These are among the top-notch curtains you’ll come across in the market today. Coming in seven different sizes, Nice town’s full shading curtains also have a variety of colors. They may not be among the cheapest, but their premium price is justifiable by their capabilities. If you are looking for a curtain with varieties, these will fit you.
Their energy efficiency is one of their top strengths. Even their light color models are good at blocking light. If you are looking for fashionable soundproof curtains, you may never have a better choice. These are thick and heavyweight, which are prerequisites of a good noise canceling curtain.
The absorption level of these curtains is high. They significantly reduce your home sound from bouncing back. So, they can help to shield your home noise from disturbing the neighbors. If you are hosting a late-night party, these are a good choice. Their durability, however, is a subject of discussion. They are thin and thus may not last long as compared to their many-layered types. When it comes to washing, you can hand wash them or with the machine.
- Have superior soundproofing capability
- They are good at blocking light
- Come in seven different sizes
- Have different color patterns
- They are machine washable.
- They are not durable
- They are expensive
8. Utopia Bedding Blackout
These sound deadening curtains exist only in two sizes: 52X63 and 52X84 inches. They are a bit rigid since your options are only limited to the two choices. However, this doesn’t mean these curtains are not good. They are actually among the popular types since most homes’ average windows at those measurements. When it comes to the choice of colors, there aren’t as many choices. The black types, though, match most home decors.
They are also equipped with thermal layers of high-end triple weave construction. Their installation isn’t hard, also considering their sizes with just seven loops per panel. They are also machining washable. All you have to do is to set the temperature below 30 degrees. When it comes to sound blocking, these curtains are rated 60% noise filtering. However, the efficiency depends on the noise frequency.
- They are machine washable
- They are effective in both light and noise blockage
- Include tie backs
- Not very efficient in soundproofing
- They are only in two sizes.
9. Best Home Fashion Basic Thermal Insulated Blackout Curtains
Best Home Fashion has a variety of insulated blackout curtain sizes. You can choose any length between 54 to 96 inches. They consist of 100% polyester materials making them less heavy and machine washable. Their brightly colored curtains allow a considerable amount of light to penetrate.
Their installation is not hard, though. They are made with eight grommets per panel and not bulky. A weight of 4 pounds only is enough for one person to handle. So, you won’t need an extra hand.
During winter and summer, the curtain’s thermal layers will help to balance the room temperature. By keeping noise out and light, they will help you create a more ambient environment for parties, peaceful sleep, and dates.
- They are easy to clean
- Also, affordable
- They are easy to install
- They are stylish
- Come in different sizes.
- Some of their colors do not block light
- Their width can be a limitation when covering too large windows.
10. NICETOWN Soundproofing Thermal Insulated Blackout Curtains
These curtains are 100% polyester material. Measuring 42″ wide by 84″ long will fit in most window sizes. The silver grommets also make it easier to install these curtains as well as enhance interior beauty.
These curtains have three layers of smooth and soft fabric. They block an average percentage of 85-99% light. The dark color reduces the penetration of UV rays, effectively regulating room temperatures.
In terms of maintenance, the curtains are machine washable. The water temperature shouldn’t, however, exceed 86F. This way, you can lengthen the durability of your curtain in a significant way.
- Highly opaque due to the dark color
- They also kill a significant percentage of noise
- They are great in heat regulation
- Easy to install
- Long durability
- Their thermal layer isn’t effective
- They are too expensive.
How to Choose The High-Quality Curtains for Soundproofing
To get the best quality of soundproofing curtains, you need to be sure of a few things about the curtain. Among these are the material compositions, the density and weight, and many more. You need to put all into consideration to get a curtain that will best sort your problem. To help you understand the best curtain model, we’ve discussed those factors in depth.
Size and Measurements of The Curtains
For normal curtains, you look for ones that fit your window. With soundproofing curtains, it is different. You need about three times wider than the size of the window. The length measurement also should have at least an extra 10 inches. If possible, you can even go for top to bottom curtains. These guarantee better results in terms of noise cancellation.
What this means is that you need to know the size of your window. It will help you get the best-sized curtains.
The materials making up your curtain will contribute greatly to the efficiency of your curtain. The curtains made of polyester, suede, and velvet is the best in noise cancellation. What you are looking for is that extra fiber for noise trapping.
You can also watch out for layered curtains. They’ll have labels such as insulated, thermal layer, thermal ware, etc. These extra layers play a great role when it comes to noise absorption. Besides, the thermal layers will also help to keep your room at regulated temperatures.
The curtain liners are another important feature when considering the materials. These liners add an extra block that sound has to penetrate. The many blockages sound goes through; it continues weakening; meaning reduced decibels. Also, the liners act as light blockers at the windows and the doors.
Check Density, Thickness & Weight
For best results, go for the high-density, thick and heavy curtains. These, to a great extent, will soundproof your room better than the lightweight and thin curtains. This is because they absorb and dampen sound greatly. Therefore, even though they may appear unpleasant, these are the best.
If possible, you can even buy those with added layers. Even though they make them heavier, the level of noise cancellation they offer is great.
The type of curtain rods you choose is important in various aspects. One, it will determine the size of gaps between the wall and the soundproofing curtains. Also, you need a rod that can hold the size and the weight of your curtains. Therefore, you need to consider the choice of curtain rods carefully in your house. You have two options here; the wrap-around rods and the double rods.
Wrap around curtain rods are mounted to the wall at a curve. This angle is very important in eliminating the possible gaps between the curtain edges and the wall. Thus, you have a greater noise-deadening surface.
Double rods are especially useful when you intend to fix two curtain layers. It is a great way of both soundproofing your room and reducing the amount of light getting in.
If, in any case, none of the above seems to fit you, you can forego them all together and opt for ceiling mount brackets. Also referred to as rod pocket curtains, these attach the curtains to the ceiling flowing down to the floor. They are actually more effective if you want to achieve an optimum soundproof room.
Other Factors to Consider Before Buying Soundproofing Curtains
Other than the above major factors we’ve already looked at, there are additional ones worth considering. These will assist you in getting the curtain that is best for your need. They include the following;
- Cost: You need a budget. That will guide you to know the features that you expect on your curtain. For example, you don’t expect a single-layer curtain to cost the same as a double or tipple layered type. So, understand the cost of the curtain and compare it with your budget. Aim to get the best possible type within your category.
- Reviews: These are your eyes to help you understand how satisfying a curtain is. It is very important always to read the customers’ product reviews, preferably on a major platform like Amazon. These will help you to know whether it’s worth investing in them or not. Always purchase a product with many positive reviews compared. If you find a mainly one-star curtain, avoid it like a plague.
- Window size: even though most of the guide’s curtains are big-sized, this is a crucial factor. It is what you’ll use to determine the best size and how effective it’ll be.
- Color: for fashion enthusiasts, you may need to check on the brands offering various tastes. If you don’t want to contrast colors with your house color theme, this is key.
- Ease of installation: Most soundproofing curtains are heavyweight. Therefore, you need to think about how you’ll get them in those rods. Do you have someone to help you? And if any, how easy will that be. You need to look at the top part design and how compatible it is with your rod or bracket. However, this doesn’t mean foregoing the quality that will best serve you.
- Washing: now that you are trying to eliminate problems in your room, you don’t want to add dirty curtains. You need to think of how easily washable the curtains are and don’t stain fast. Preferably, machine washable materials are better.
- Grommets: The strengths of your grommets ensure safety, easy opening, and closing. Steel grommets are the best due to their strength and durability. So, if you are not using the ceiling bracket, this is important.
Alternatives to Soundproofing Your Current Curtains
Sometimes, the soundproof curtains may not reach your expectations. That is not the end of it all. You have an alternative in acoustic foams. These are the form of panels that you use alongside your curtains for better results. They are used commonly used by YouTube content creators and in recording studios.
FAQ – Frequently Ask Questions
How can I make my curtains soundproof?
There is no way of making your normal curtains soundproof. The only option is buying soundproof curtains. These are special curtains made with sound-absorbing materials.
Do thick curtains block out noise or noise cancellation?
Yes. Thickness is one of the major characteristics that contribute to the efficiency of noise cancellation curtains. The thicker the curtain, the less noise will penetrate.
What materials can block out sound?
The best examples of sound blocking materials are foam panels, mass-loaded Vinyl, soundproofing curtains, green glue compound, and drywall.
How do you stop a noise coming through a window?
There are different techniques you can use to stop noise from entering through the window. Some of them are;
- Installation of sound blocking curtains
- Close all the holes and gaps on your window
- Use a double or triple pane window.
- Add a weather stripping tape on the window.
How do you deal with living on a busy street?
Hooting, screeching, and blaring engines are the characteristics of busy streets. Living in such an environment can be very hard if proper measures are not used. One of the best ways to deal with such a crazy life is soundproofing your doors, walls, and windows. For the doors, use thick materials and the soundproof drapes for walls and windows.
How can I make my HVAC quieter?
First of all, choosing quiet HVAC is the best way to ensure quiet results. However, there are a few adjustments you can make to reduce noise from your HVAC unit. These include;
- Adding the sound boots
- Installing air handlers
- Use improved acoustics
- Use sound-absorbing materials.
We don’t promise you 100% noise insulation with these soundproof curtains. However, if you are looking for a cheap and straightforward noise canceling method, soundproof curtains are good at it. Other than keeping your home quiet, these curtains help to regulate your room temperatures. Also, they play a key role in darkening your room. You have no reason to struggle with poor sleep due to light and noise pollution. These curtains will sort out this mess for you once and for all.
Our list of best models above contains soundproof curtains that will cancel noise from outside and inside. The result is a quieter home, even in a noisy environment. Whether you pick your curtains from our suggestions or not, you have the vital tools at your disposal. We are sure that we have impacted enough knowledge on soundproof curtains.