Laminate floors are a superb substitute for wood flooring with exactly the same taste. However, they are cheap, and their durability almost equals the wood floors’. However, one tricky part of laminate floors is maintenance. They are so delicate and require special attention to maintain their elegance. Therefore, if you need their service, you must be prepared to pay the cost. The cost to use the proper cleaning methods and observing their maintenance practices.
Laminate floors are not like any other floor that you can just pick a mop from anywhere and start working on. You need proper cleaning tools to ensure you get the best results without compromising their durability. One of those tools is the steam mop for laminate floors.
This is a unique device that uses hot steam to dissolve dirt and get rid of bacteria from your floor. A steam mop consists of a handle, trigger, a stick, and a floor head fitted with a microfiber pad. Depending on the model, some mops use the entire pad to clean while others concentrate their steam on one spot. To sanitize the floor, they don’t require any special chemicals. Steam mop one of the grounds that make them the best choice for laminate floors.
Benefits of Steam Mop for Laminate Floors
The hot steam ejected from the mops kills up to 99% of bacteria without any artificial chemical. This is very important, especially if you have kids or pets in your room. That fresh, natural feeling devoid of chemicals is great and eco friendly.
Lightweight & Maneuverability
All steam mops are lightweight. Even though some may be bulk to some extent, not weight, you can complain. It makes them easily maneuverable around objects and furniture in your room. You can therefore reach the parts you can’t otherwise do.
Using steam mop on your laminate floors, dries it to a great extent. That is precisely what these floors need. Water pooling can destroy your laminate floor. Since most of these mops allow steam control, you can adjust them for the best results. Additionally, most mops will enable you to clean different surfaces. Therefore, you don’t have to buy other equipment. You just need to mount the additional accessories and get the work done.
A steam mop can last for years except for pads that you will have to replace occasionally. You can’t compare these units with the traditional methods whose life span is in terms of weeks. As long as you use your device correctly, it can serve you for even up to ten years.
Does Cleaning Laminate Floors with Steam Mop Damage the Floor?
The safety of steam mop on laminate floors depends on how you use them. Therefore, there is no discrete yes or no answer to this question. If you use them correctly, they are the best. Yet, they can also contribute immensely towards destroying your laminate floor, especially with their heat and water.
Laminate floors are sensitive to water. It’s upon you to ensure that you dry the floor completely without leaving even droplets. You should also regulate the amount of heat you use depending on the material grain.
10 Best Steam Mop for Laminate Floors
Instead of going blindly to the market, we’ve analyzed several steam mops and come up with a list of the top 10. If you are looking for a steam mop for your laminate floors, here are the best deals. Just come up with a budget and establish your specific need, then you’ll get a match here. Our catalog contains;
1. LIGHT ‘N’ EASY 7618ANW Steam Mop
This lightweight steam mop makes a perfect addition to your cleaning collection. It has a light and slim structure to allow you to clean between furniture and constricted corners. You’ll also find its storing very easy as it can fit in small spaces.
It is endowed with smart features such as swivel steering that make your cleaning an exciting endeavor. The whole process of operating this mop is a breeze. To release the steam, you just need to press the trigger and release it to stop.
It is made of a soft pad that glides over the laminate floor with ease. It is also multipurpose; you can use it on other types of floors. The super heater installed makes it a suitable choice for near-instant cleaning.
- Has a super-fast heater that heats water within 20 to 30seconds
- It can be used on different types of floors
- Very lightweight and slim
- It produces powerful steam to get rid of grime and dirt
- Its pad is reusable, so no need for regular replacement
- Has a small water tank
- Its cord is too short.
2. LIGHT ‘N’ EASY 7688ANW, White
To keep your floor clean and disinfected, this multipurpose steam mop is the real deal. It has several beautiful features for safety and efficiency on the floor. To start with, it has a smart sensor for steam regulation. The sensor allows steam generation when you are cleaning. If you happen to pause momentarily, the sensor will detect and stop the steam. This is an important safety feature for protecting your laminate floor.
LIGHT ‘N’ EASY 7688ANW has 3 heat settings that allow you to control the amount of heat. The feature makes this mop a multipurpose type since you can use it on different types of floors. If you think of keeping your crawling child, a pet, or yourself on a clean and disinfected floor, think of this mop. Its powerful steam kills up to 99% of bacteria. The accompanying attachments also give you every reason to love it. Some of the attached accessories include a jet nozzle, scrub brush, upholstery tool, and a window squeegee.
- The smart sensor makes it very safe to use
- It has three heat settings
- It has a large water tank of approximately 340ml
- Comes with a one-year warranty
- It comes with a variety of attachments
- Its durability is not long
- The Velcro tab holding the pad is too small
- No max. water level indicator
3. Bissell Steam Mop 1806
Bissell 1806 steam mop is not only suitable for laminate floors but can also be used on hardwood and tiles floors. It is equipped with two tanks; this mop separates the dirty and clean water. This way, it ensures the dirty water already used doesn’t get back on the floor. There is also a smart control button meant for switching between different surfaces: Whether laminate floors or the rugs.
Additionally, you can use this steam mop to clean other small surfaces such as doorknobs, toys, and window sills. Its swivel steering allows you to maneuver around obstacles and furniture in your room easily.
- It can be used to clean different surfaces
- The smart control button allows you to switch the mop for other surfaces
- The two different tanks for clean and dirty water enhances cleaning
- It’s super maneuverable, capable of rotating 3600
- It has three steam control levels
- Its brushes are not durable
- When using hand cleaning mode, you must keep pressing the control button all the time.
4. BISSELL Power Fresh Steam 1940
Yet another BISSELL steam mop makes it to our list. It is a more improved version than its predecessors usable, not only usable on laminate floors. You can use it on hardwood floors, tiles, marble, and linoleum.
Power Fresh has a flip-down scrubber that helps to remove tough stains and grime from the surface. For best results, its bristles are made toughened to receive powerful steam. Besides cleaning your room, this mop gives good fragrance from the scented disks.
This mop’s microfiber pads are also washable. Therefore, you don’t have to keep replacing them now and then. Its heating mechanism is also very fast, capable of heating water within just 30 seconds. In this device, you get a long cable and a lightweight product.
- It is easy to use
- Very powerful to remove hard stains
- It is also lightweight
- It is equipped with three steam levels.
- Made of a non-durable cap
- It has a short cord
5. Dupray Neat Steam Cleaner Multipurpose Heavy-Duty Steamer
If you are buying a steam mop for a large laminate floors, this is the best choice. This heavy-duty steamer is capable of warming water up to 1350C. Its water reservoir also holds up to 1.5L. This is the maximum steam mop tank capacity in the market so far.
Additionally, Dupray, unlike most of its counterparts, can run for 50 minutes nonstop. It practically it will outdo all the other steam mops in terms of power and strength. If you want to refill, it has an inbuilt funnel for effortless refilling.
The two-seater hose allows you to clean the furthest points of your floor. You have to worry about plugging and unplugging your device as the cord is long enough. Besides your laminated floors, you can use Dupray to clean your mattresses, seats, or kitchen surfaces. This is made possible by the many accessories that come with this mop.
- It is very flexible
- It comes with a variety of accessories and adaptors
- You can use regular towels instead of a microfiber pad
- Heats water to highest degrees
- Has the biggest water tank
- It is expensive
- It also bulky
6. Sienna Luna Plus Steam Mop
Also known as Luna Steam Handheld cleaner, this mop incorporates sonic micro pulse vibration technology. The micropulse vibration is crucial in the maneuverability of this mop. The sonic effect helps to make cleaning work easier as it loosens the dirt.
It also comes with a plethora of accessories, including a carpet glider kit, extension cord, shoulder strap, concentrator nozzle, among many more. These increases its versatility as all these parts are used for cleaning different places. Some of the most exciting places are car interiors, kitchen counters, and BBQ grills.
The three steam levels that you can control depending on the function. Its LED light acts as a source of light in dimly lit rooms.
- It is lightweight and highly portable
- Very versatile owing to the many accessories
- Its microfiber pad is washable reusable
- You can easily detach and assemble its parts
- Its head is not flexible
- It has a small water tank.
7. Shark Professional Steam Pocket Mop (S3601D)
It is a simple yet high functionality laminated floor steam mop.
This mop has the latest intelligent technologies, which make it very easy to use. Thus, no wonder it makes it to our top 10 best steam mops.
First off, its heating system is super. It is capable of heating water within 30 minutes. Therefore, you don’t have to stand for long waiting for the water to warm. On matters of cleaning, this mop ranks next to few. It has three control levels for the steam. So, there’s no struggling guessing the steam hotness or efficiency.
Thanks to its two-sided cleaning system, you can clean your laminated floor with ease. It is also straightforward to use. You don’t need any extra training to operate it.
- Its larger head is good for cleaning large spaces.
- Equipped with smart and intelligent technologies
- It also has a compact design.
- Quick mop head discharge
- It’s straightforward to use
- Requires constant maintenance
- A bit expensive
8. O-Cedar Microfiber Steam Mop
This steam mop is another accessory rich device. These extra features are essential in ensuring the best clean up on your laminated floor. It also sterilizes the floor effortlessly and effectively, killing up to 99% of bacteria.
If you are looking for a steam mop with carpet cleaning accessories, this is it. It’s also lightweight allowing you to move from one room to another quickly. The shape of its head pad also plays an important role in cleaning. It is triangular, enabling you to clean corners and other shaped places. The good thing is that your mop will come with 2 reusable microfiber pads. So, you are sorted for a couple of months before you can think of new pads.
Its heating system is something worth mentioning. This unit can warm water within just 20 seconds. After heating the water, you can also regulate the steam as per the needs of your floor.
- Relatively cheap
- You can set the steam levels
- It is lightweight
- Has a swivel triangular head
- It has incredible accessories, like carpet cleaning.
- Comes with a short power cable
- It can get clogged after some time.
9. PurSteamThermaProSteam Mop Cleaner 10-in-1
If you are looking for a versatile steam mop, this PurSteam gadget has it all. Within minutes, you can get your soiled floor in order. We’re not in an era of struggling with a piece of cloth rugs, and this unit can serve you better.
Instead of relying on chemicals to disinfect your floor, ThermaPro gives you a chance to do this naturally. Its heater isn’t also bad as it heats water within 30 minutes. Even though its water tank isn’t of the best capacity, it can serve you for 20-25 minutes.
Its accompanying accessories can help you to clean different surfaces. Using the handheld unit, you can reach the points you can’t reach with the normal mop. Besides the laminate floors, this steam mop can also be used to clean other floors. You can also customize the steam levels. The three steam modes include low, medium, and high.
- It is sturdy and durable
- Easily maneuverable due to it’s lightweight
- It has three steam modes
- It both children and pet safe
- Its power cord is too short
- You have to replace pads frequently.
10. PurSteam Steam Mop Cleaner 12 in 1
This is yet another PurSteam mop that can clean nearly everything in your house, including furniture, kitchen cabinets, garments, etc. You don’t need any special water. All you need is tap water, and you are good to go. Its triangular-shaped head allows you to clean even the hardest to reach parts in your home. Therefore, you’ve got no excuse in allowing stains to destroy your floor. Whatever type your floor is, this steamer can get you going. That gives enough flexibility with your devices as you can use it on various floor types.
Easily maneuverable, this mop doesn’t need any artificial chemical to kill 99.99% of bacteria on your floor. Your kids and pets can now have a safe playing ground. The 16 feet cord gives you more freedom when cleaning. Additionally, the two-year warranty is enough to give you confidence. In case of anything, the PurSteam customer department will be there to service your needs.
- It is very versatile
- The cord is considerably long
- The triangular head pad can wash the unreachable parts in your house
- It is lightweight hence maneuverable
- Has a small reservoir
- The handle makes it a bit heavy.
Key Considerations Before Buying Steam Mop for Laminate Floors
To buy the best steam mop, you need to consider certain factors. These act as the guide in a market flooded with a variety of models. To ensure you choose a mop that best fits your needs looks at the following grounds;
Extreme temperatures on the laminate floors can destroy them. Therefore, it is important to get a steam mop whose temperatures you can regulate depending on the floor’s grain texture. To protect your floor against possible seal interference, always start on the lowest temperature setting. Then if it looks okay, you can adjust to medium or high. You may not need to use the highest setting unless you are cleaning tough stains or grime. So, the heat settings are very important to ensure versatility on different laminate floors. You can easily fulfill this if you go for the steam mop designed for laminate floors.
Remember, the pad is what comes into direct contact with the floor. That’s why it is critical to choose a pad that won’t scratch your floor. A microfiber pad is the best due to its gentleness. You won’t be afraid to leave scratches on the floor after cleaning. These pads are also easy to clean. You can dip them in water repeatedly during cleaning.
To add to their efficiency, microfibers are excellent in moisture absorption. Excessive water is an enemy of a laminate floor. A good dryer does it right. When you are out there shopping, aim at getting this type of pads. You won’t have to keep asking whether you are pressing to on much when mopping.
A small water reservoir can make even the greatest of steam mops boring. A mop needs water to create adequate steam. Without water, it can’t work.
If your mop tank is too small, the water will keep running out before you finish cleaning. Stopping to refill and reheat water can not only be inconveniencing but also frustrating. Therefore, whenever picking a steam mop, make sure its tank capacity will not be a letdown.
Tools & Attachments
Additional tools and attachments that accompany your steam mop are very important. They enable you to be more effective and thorough when cleaning your house. Besides, they help cut off the extra equipment budget. For example, some come with the small brushes that you can use to sweep small compartments like a faucet, constricted corners, and grout lines. Other mops have an upholstery and fabric tool for cleaning your sofas and ironing.
The convertible steam mops also offer the best option. You can turn them to a handheld device, depending on where you are cleaning. Even though the additional attachments may attract a higher cost, they are a worthy investment if your budget allows.
The length of your steam mop cord will directly determine the circumference you’ll be able to clean. It’s advisable to purchase a mop with long cables as it will give you more freedom. You won’t have to keep unplugging your unit to reach specific points in your house. For the best choice of a steam mop, have your home’s size in mind when choosing the cord length.
Usually, a 20 feet cable is a good choice. With such length, you can at least reach almost every corner of the most house. It also allows room in case of future extensions of your home. Or in case you have another bigger floor house to clean, you won’t have to buy a new mop.
The weight of your steam mop is an essential factor, especially when you have a large space to clean. If you buy a heavy mop, you will strain a lot when moving it from one point to the other during cleaning. Regarding the weight, you can also think of maneuver helping features such as wheels and handles. All in all, ensure your mop is lightweight for portability purposes.
Best Way to Clean Laminate Floors
Before starting the process of cleaning your laminate floor, how to do it is an important question. What are the dos and don’ts to keep in mind? To get the best results when cleaning your laminate floors with a steam mop, follow the steps below;
- Fill the steam mop reservoir with distilled or tap water
- Plug it to a power outlet and allow it to heat for 30 to 60 seconds. Be keen also on the heat settings not to overheat it.
- To start the cleaning process, press and release the trigger. This process unleashes the steam on the floor for the microfiber pad to eliminate the dirt and absorb the excess moisture.
- After a few strokes, check the floor of any excess water. In case you notice any, you can mop it to ensure your floor remains dry.
- After the above steps, your laminate floor will be left clean and almost completely dry.
Before signing off on the cleaning topic, it’s essential to highlight a few things you should always observe. These will help your laminate floor last longer and have that extra beauty look. If you follow them, your laminate floor will be no different from the hardwood ones. These measures include;
- Read the cleaning instruction manual: Before attempting to clean your laminate floor, read the manufacturer’s recommendations. You can find them either on the hard copy user manual that comes with the product or on their website. It is important in case there are special considerations based on the product material composition.
- Never use abrasive tools: No matter how your laminate floor looks stained, steers clear abrasive materials like steel wool. These can scratch your floor, leaving ugly dents on it. Instead of scouring, try using a soft-bristled brush to sweet the debris before starting the mopping process.
- Tackle spills immediately: You should never let your floor get stained. Therefore, in case of any liquid spillage, wipe it off immediately. It will save you the hustle of trying to clean stains, which may be very hard. Some liquid stains are also known to destroy the laminate floor. You should always move with speed to tackle spills as they happen.
- Don’t expose your floor to too much water: Any cleaning that leaves moisture on the floor for long is a no. As we said earlier, laminate floors are delicate and prolonged accumulation of water can damage their seams. The results of such exposure will be the floor swelling or bubbling. It can also cause your floor to fade or stain permanently.
- Clean at intervals: You shouldn’t make the laminate floor mopping your everyday exercise. Frequent cleaning can weaken its upper seal and reduce its durability. If you use a steam mop, two months intervals can give you desirable results. Your floor will remain fresh and maintain its original look.
- Don’t use the unlabeled product: Always use cleaning products labeled for laminate floor cleaning. If possible, specifically those from your brand. And even then, you should use them sparingly; you shouldn’t either apply them directly to the floor. You can use the mop or the microfiber cloth to avoid any possible excessive effects. Unless recommended by the manufacturer, don’t rely on shortcut products such as polishes or wax. Also, be skeptical of those DIY cleaning methods if you are not sure of the process.
- Protection against future damages: To maintain the beautiful look of your laminate floor, use any protective mechanism to protect them against scratches. For example, you can use the furniture pads for the seats and tables if you frequently change their positions.
You can also use the floor and doormats to prevent wear and tear. These are helpful when placed at the entrance points. They can avoid entry of substances that destroy laminate floors like grit on dirty shoes or stone fragments.
- Trim your pet’s nails: Yes, as minor as it may appear, it can save your laminate floor from a nasty scratch. As pets play in the house can end up scratching the floor if they have long nails. With trimmed nails, whichever way they play, you’ll be assured of your floor security.
For a regular DIY solution, mix one gallon of hot water with a teaspoonful of clear and unscented soap. Fill the mixture in the steam mop reservoir or any other container you are using for cleaning.
In case your floor has a film or waxy stains, which is a common scenario when you use the wrong cleaning products, mix the hot water with a cup of white vinegar. Vinegar is a natural cleaning agent and helps break down the compounds without negative effects on the surface. All the other rules should remain the same.
If you want to get that shiny appearance for your laminate floor by eliminating any form of stains, it is possible. To remove the tough stains such as those of wax and chewing gums, apply an ice bag on them. After they have hardened, use a plastic knife or a scraper to remove them. If they are ink, crayons, or nail polish stains, you can wash them off using an alcohol reagent one by one.
Yes. Vinegar is a natural cleaning agent and doesn’t affect the laminate floor negatively in any way. It is actually instrumental in cleaning the floor to remove tough stains such as those of ink.
Not frequently. Even though there is no set number of times you should mop your laminate floor, it shouldn’t often be. Some people prefer mopping after every two months and others one. The thing is, if done many times, you can easily weaken your floor seal and compromise the durability.
You mix a gallon of hot water and a teaspoonful of unscented soap. Instead of soap, you can also use a cup of vinegar.
If you have been struggling to clean your laminate floor, a steam mop will give you a completely new experience. So, if you haven’t bought one, it’s about time you paid for the stores a visit. It’s not worth struggling with traditional methods of cleaning your floor when we have these beautiful and affordable tools. Steam mops give your floor a sparkling look within minutes and without a trace of wetness.
Just as they had been developing since their invention in 2004, steam mops are projected to become more sophisticated with time. Probably include more energy-efficient designs, robotics, and more environment-friendly. Before then, when they’ll be more expensive and harder to operate, give your laminate floor a treat today. You can pick any of the mops from our above list of the best products.