Sometimes, emergency situations occur without prior preparedness or notice. Therefore, such situations as storms, hurricanes, earthquakes, among others may inflict challenges to people across regions. Would you imagine how emergency situations would compromise your safety as well as the wellbeing of your loved ones? Well, this may sound devastating since there would be network issues, power outage, unreliable signals, rush to save lives, and frequent need for reliable updates about the situation from different agencies.
Why Do I Need A Radio for Emergencies?
Often, there are a series of needs during an emergency such as storm, earthquake, or any other large-scale occurrence. Regardless of your location, you need a shoulder to lean on regarding information access and other additional purposes. Definitely, an emergency radio would be an ideal solution for you. Here is why an emergency radio is vital during such situations:
- Access to weather updates: often, situations such as hurricanes, storms, and volcano eruptions lead to alterations of weather patterns of a given region. Adverse weather frustrates rescue efforts and other vital activities. Consequently, you need consistent updates from reliable agencies about the real situation and therefore, an ideal emergency radio would serve you during hard times with respect to accessing frequent weather updates.
- Rescue information: during an emergency, there is the proliferation of efforts to reduce casualties and rescues the trapped victims. Would you imagine how challenging it would be in absence of a reliable strategy for information and relevant updates? Well, it is unsustainable to rely on your mobile phone to access updates. Therefore, emergency radios are vital in facilitating frequent communication about rescue efforts and other crucial updates.
- Lighting: definitely, this type of radio is a source of light during emergencies that significantly help in people to avoid injuries and access way out. Varieties of emergency radios have powerful lighting facilities to facilitate visual purposes. The lighting aspect of these radios makes them ideal for even night camping and other outdoor activities.
- Entertainment: certainly, emergency situations are associated with subsequent stress and other factors that affect personal moods and comfort. Therefore, any source of entertainment would be an additional advantage in boosting moods. Emergency radios enable the selection of music as they integrate with handsets to facilitate entertainment. Definitely, you get entertainment during hard times.
- An alternative charger: some brands of emergency radios acts as power banks. Therefore, it is possible to charge your flashlight, MP3 devices, and even phone. Such a vital feature renders the radios vital during calamities where there are probabilities of power outage and blackouts.
- As a means of communication. Some emergency radio brands such as those with the ability to access the Specific Area Message Encoding (SAME) feature are ideal in redirecting your concerns to the relevant local authorities. Therefore, they are useful in facilitating the information transfer as well as complementing rescue activities.
How Does Emergency Radio Receive Weather Alerts?
Unlike ordinary radios, emergency radio are vital in enabling the transfer of weather updates from various reliable sources in emergencies. How is this possible? Well, they are able to receive waves and notifications for Very High Frequency (VHF) stations for public services. Therefore, it is possible to access timely and reliable updates from dedicated weather channels in your region.
In the United States, for example, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has the total control over the National Weather Radio (NWR) network-a channel that broadcasts all information, updates, and issues pertaining to weather conditions across the country.
Many brands of emergency radios have the “Alert” feature that would assert the alarm or other notification features once the NWR releases updates about a certain calamity. Subsequently, a 1050Hz attention tone is sent before the message to notify the receiver about the incoming update. After that, the text message is conveyed in the form of voice notes.
In the event where your emergency radio is lacking the “alert” feature, you should ensure that you are tuned in to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) channels to have the grasp of every reliable update. Apart from receiving NOAA general notifications, some of the modern emergency radios have the ability to decode Specific Area Message Encoding (SAME).
The ability to encode Specific Area Messages enables the user to have weather updates that target a certain state or locality. Therefore, it is possible to narrow down the updates to cover areas of your interest. The other features regarding access to weather updates include:
- Led light for SAME radios to indicate the severity of the hazards or alert
- Ability to direct messages and connect with local state authorities
- Ability to connect additional alarms in form of strobe lights and sirens
- They can act as power banks to charge flashlight, MP3, and even phones
How We Picked Best Emergencies Radio ?
The criteria behind the selection of the best emergency radios borrow heavily on aspects of customer reviews, the available features, and other essential considerations such as durability, efficiency, and brand resilience. Alongside these considerations, the price also informed the decision to settle on various brands of emergency radios that are affordable and available across regions.
Top 10 Best Multi Feature Radio For Emergencies
1. RunningSnail Emergency Hand Crank
The RunningSnail is a very handy emergency radio because it ticks all the important boxes that you would need. The emergency radio comes with a power bank which makes it possible to recharge your smartphone or any other smaller electronic gadgets. You will also get to hear the weather alerts loud and clear since it has adjustable volume dials and its speakers are also very clear.
It will do you no good to have an emergency radio but cannot receive any weather reports because the charge is flat. To ensure that you never find yourself in such a scenario, the Running Radio has three ways in which you can recharge the gadget. The first way is by electricity through a USB cable, the second way is through the solar panel and the third way is through the hand crank.
The radio also has a bright flashlight which will come in handy should there be a power outage. Due to these features, the emergency radio is a good companion especially when you are out camping. Since the work of any radio is to keep you informed, the Running Snail receives AM /FM frequencies in addition to NOAA weather bands. It also has a small and retractable antenna.
One of the downsides of the emergency radio is that it is not water-resistant although it is waterproof.
- Has a bright flashlight
- Has three recharging modes
- It receives AM/FM frequencies and NOAA frequency bands
- Has a small and retractable antenna
- It is not water-resistant
2. Givoust Emergency Weather Crank Radio
The Givoust brand is one of the most sought after emergency radio brands around. Thanks to multiple features, the brand provides its users with plenty of reliable services appropriate in different calamities. To start with, the brand has the following features:
- 4000mAh power bank
- Am/FM/NOAA weather alert feature
- AUX music play
- USB cell phone charger
Alongside the notable features, the brand boasts of various power sources including corded-electric, solar, hand crank, and AAA batteries. The Givoust radio is an absolute deal in ensuring survival and additional services in the emergencies.
- It has various power sources
- It has a long-lasting battery
- You can listen to music through its AUX
- It has 7 band receivers
- It is a bit on the heavier side
3. FRX5BT Eton Emergency Weather Bluetooth Radio
The brand is instrumental in complementing your quench for reliable updates and any other additional services. For instance, Eton radio provides users with almost all the services that you require during emergencies. Such benefits range from real-time weather alerts to much-need entertainment. Here are some of the features you would find in the model:
- Smartphone charger
- 7-band options
- 2000mAh power bank
- SAME/NOAA/AM/FM digital radio
Thanks to these and many more features, this emergency radio is one of the few you wouldn’t miss out on purchasing. Certainly, it is a real deal and you have plenty of features at your disposal.
- You can use it to charge your phone
- It also acts as a power bank
- It has multiple charging options
- Provides great lighting
- Its battery is not as long-lasting
4. RunningSnail Solar Crank Radio For Emergencies
Like the two other ideal models, this emergency radio is robust, reliable, and convenient in providing a variety of solutions in an event of a calamity. To start with, this model boasts of some special features that include:
- AM/FM/NOAA signals
- 2000mAh power bank
- Variety power sources that include Li-ion batteries, corded electric, solar, AAA batteries, and a hand crank
- 2-Band options.
Why would you miss out on this model then? Surely, you have to consider the model for ultimate benefits that would complement your needs during uncertain times. You have the prospect to enjoy a variety of benefits as noted.
- The radio is very handy
- It has a very powerful beam
- Its reception is top-notch
- It has multiple reception options
- It is not water-resistant
5. Midland-ER310 Emergency Radio
Midland-ER310 is another brand worth your consideration. If you are looking for a brand that would satisfy your immediate needs as well as going the extra mile, this brand should be the immediate answer to your needs. Upon choosing this model, you would enjoy the following features:
- Multiple power sources. You don’t have to worry about the power outage
- SOS emergency flashlight
- Am/FM/NOAA weather alerts
- Ultrasonic dog whistle
- 2600mAh battery
As if these features are not enough, the emergency radio will also enable you to know the state of the weather through its 7 weather channels band. Additionally, the Midland emergency radio will lock on the strongest weather station. You can also use the radio as a power bank to charge your smart devices.
- It is very versatile
- Locks to the strongest weather station
- It comes with an ultrasonic dog whistle
- You can use it as an SOS communication device
- Its battery is not very durable
6. KAITO KA5001P-Red Voyage Radio For Emergencies
The list of the best emergency radios would be incomplete without the inclusion of KAITO KA5001P-Red Voyage. The model is exceptional in providing a wide array of features that complement all your needs. The brand has the following features:
Variety of power sources that include solar panel, hand crank, and rechargeable batteries
- 180-degree adjustable solar panel
- 5-LED reading lamp
- AM/FM/NOAA channels
- Cellphone charger which is compatible with Android and iOS devices, among others.
With the features that Kaito KA5001P, you are covered as long as updates on the weather developments are concerned. You do not have to worry that the power will die out on you as the radio has emergency charging option.
- It is lightweight making it easy to carry
- Comes with a rotatable solar panel which ensures that the device remains fully charged
- It has a reading lamp
- Its batteries are rechargeable
- Does not have a flashlight
7. Sangean MMR-88 Radio For Emergencies
In this long list of the best emergency radios, Sangean MMR-88 finds its way thanks to its crucial accessories, design, and features that combine to bring about the much-needed services in the event of a calamity. The radio also has some great features to ensure that you are well prepared in case of an emergency.
The Sangean receives all the 7 NOAA weather stations and locks on the strongest reception to ensure that you receive the weather updates well in time. additionally, to ensure that the power will not die out on you, the radio has several power sources which include a hand crank, solar panel and you can also charge it through a Micro-SD cable. It also has a very reliable flashlight.
- AM/FM/all-weather alerts
- Several sources of power including solar, hand crank, and USB
- A Reliable bright flashlight
- Alert signals including siren
- A smartphone charge
- Built-in clock
- Micro USB port and a hand strap
- Its station reception is not very clear
8. American RedCross Emergency Radio
Certainly, this model is ideal for providing real-time weather updates and other benefits that are essential for the elimination of distresses in the event of a calamity. The radio comes with an option of 7 bands to ensure that you get informed of any expected weather changes in your area. If the sun is out, then you can keep the radio charged to the full through its solar charging mechanism.
The emergency radio also comes with a hand crank which recharges the batteries which ensures that the radio will not die out on you. To ensure that you are entertained, the radio also receives AM/ FM signals.
- 7-band options
- Several power sources including solar panel and batteries
- Hand crank turbine
- 2600mAh power bank with a USB cable for smartphone
- AM/FM/NOAA signals, among other features
- It does not have other features like SOS flashlight
9. FosPower Emergency Solar Hand Crank Portable Radio
The model is one of the best emergency radios around thanks to some features that match with the best. Some of the features include a reading lamp. This means that you do not need an additional power source to enjoy your favorite read especially if you are out camping. The 2000mAh power bank ensures that you can charge other smart devices to help you keep in touch with your friends which is important especially during storms.
The FosPower emergency radio has various sources of power such as solar, AAA batteries, and hand cranks.
- The emergency radio comes with a reading light
- Has multiple power sources
- Its acts as a power bank
- Its batteries are long-lasting
- It does not have a shoulder strap
10. Kaito KA500 Solar Powered Radio For Emergencies
The last emergency radio on our list is the Kaito KA500 solar-powered emergency radio. It is rightly named as a solar-powered radio because it has a very strong solar panel which keeps it charged for a long. Additionally, like the other emergency radios in this list, it also acts as a power bank which means that your smart devices will not die out on you.
The Kaito KA500 also receives instant weather alerts from all the 7 NOAA stations to ensure that you remain alert of any expected weather changes.
- Am/FM/NOAA signals
- USB cable for smartphones
- Instant weather alerts
- 5-LED reading lamp, among other benefits
- Does not have a powerful flashlight
Key Features Before Buying A Radio for Emergencies
Certainly, anyone would go for a strong and reliable emergency radio with respect to frequency reception and the subsequent receiving of weather alerts, among other useful information. Notably, the best brands of emergency radio allow frequency receptions from various sources in emergencies. In the United States, it is vital to go for a brand that allows frequency reception from NOAA, AM/FM, and even SAME.
The durability considerations inform many decisions to purchase a particular brand of the emergency radio. While determining whether the brand is durable or not, it is significant to consider the following factors:
- Whether the brand has multiple sources of power
- The brand is able to withstand adverse conditions such as high temperatures and precipitation
- Whether the brand has the appropriate design that facilitates its usability
- Whether its accessories and parts are prone to periodic wear and tear
- If the brand’s batteries provide long term services, among other considerations
Multiple Power Sources
Different brands of emergency radios come with multiple sources of power that should inspire your selection. It is fundamental to go for a brand that accommodates various sources of power to complement your needs. You should look for the presence of the following sources of power:
Solar: the utilization of solar energy would be ideal to complement your needs for long-term access to information and regular updates. While solar accessories may be available in many brands, always go for those with proper placement of solar accessories.
Hand cranks: certainly, hand cranks are crucial in providing a reliable source of energy for your radio. Emergency hand cracks radios are among the most popular radios since they provide ready solutions in terms of energy sources. Hand cranks and solar panels integrate the availability of rechargeable batteries to provide a consistent power supply.
Weather Bands and Tools
The ability of any emergency radio to access various weather-related signals is fundamental in informing decisions to purchase. There are various channels dedicated to air weather updates. Such channels include NOAA and SAME in the United States. Certainly, any radio that provides access to updates from such channels would be ideal for an emergency. The other tools that you should look for with respect to weather alerts include the presence of an alarm, proper notification features, and the considerations for timely reminders.
Often, multiple tools provide users with plenty of options at their disposal. With respect to the choice of an emergency radio, it is essential to appreciate that the best radio brands come with a handful of additional features that complement your endeavors during calamities. Such features include:
- Presence of bright flashlights
- AM/FM signals
- Presence of speakers
- Phone charges
- USB ports
- Powerbanks, among other features.
Always go for a brand that would satisfy your preferences with respect to timely weather updates, lighting, and even entertainment to keep you going and uplifted.
Price is one of the primary determiners that would inform your decision to settle on a particular brand of an emergency radio. Definitely, it is fundamental to go by your budget estimations when purchasing a new emergency radio. Therefore, it is primarily crucial to consider reviewing the price quotations from different dealers to determine where to settle. However, try to combine price with other considerations such as the presence of vital features to ensure proper selection.
FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions
What is the use of radio in an emergencies?
Emergency radios are vital tools in the event of an emergency. To start with, they facilitate access to vital updates from reliable government agencies such as weather forecasters and rescue missions. Secondly, they facilitate lighting activities that help individuals to avoid injuries and find the way out of the affected regions. Finally, they provide alternative sources of entertainment during emergency occurrences. Apart from their significance during emergencies , this type of radio are useful in night camps and other outdoor functions where you would require lighting, entertainment, and frequent updates.
What is a crank radio?
Crank radio is an emergency radio that generates power through a hand crank. These radios have conductive coil wires and magnets that facilitate the internal generation of power. Upon the turning of the hand crank, there is the generation of heat and the subsequent conversion of heat to electric energy. Despite having hand cranks, these radio may have backup sources of energy such as solar components, hence making them ideal for emergencies.
Where can I buy an emergency radio?
There are many dealers of emergency radios near you. What you need to do is to look for a reliable dealer with positive reviews and background success. You may consider an online dealer such as Amazon.
What frequency would you use in the event of an emergency?
Often, distress frequencies vary across regions. It is essential to find a Very High Frequency (VHF) channel that would complement your needs.
Is there an emergency channel for walkie talkies?
Yes. Walkie talkies can access citizen bands that may direct communication to relevant authorities for proper interventions.
What is the most commonly used CB channel?
Channel 9 is a popular channel for emergency issues in the United States. You may tune the channel via 27.065MHZ. However, you should note that CB channels vary across countries.
Emergency radios are crucial gadgets that play vital roles in the events of calamities. Certainly, calamities are bound to happen and their surprises are always on the card. Due to their sudden surprises, there are needs to equip you properly to increase the chances of countering the effects of any calamity. As there might be a series of precautionary measures, purchasing an emergency radio is an appropriate intervention for bracing yourself for any emergencies that would come on your way.
Either, you may opt to purchase an emergency radio for your outdoor activities such as night camps and nature excursions. However, it is vital to consider several aspects before embarking on your selection endeavors. You should consider the following aspects: features and specifications, price, durability, and multiple accessories.