If you have never thought about lubrication your garage doors, it’s understandable because most of the homeowners will do so. Hence, if you are annoyed with the garage door that squeaks, squeal, and doesn’t open smoothly, you are not alone. After a long hectic day, such noise is enough to ruin your peace of mind. There is no need to think that you have to live with that. All you have to do is to apply proper lubrication material over the moving parts of your garage doors to reduce the mechanical friction.
A garage door is a fairly simple device using quite simple mechanisms comprising roller, hinges, and other parts that contain bearings. These bearings are hard to reach and it requires a professional service person to perform proper maintenance and lubrication. But the good news is most of the garage doors failures are not associated with lubrication.
Again, as a responsible homeowner, you should grease your garage door’s easily accessible moving parts like roller and hinge frequently in order to avoid the squeaky and screeching noises which can be very annoying. It will also help to run the door quite smoothly and increase the life span.
How To Choose The Best Garage Doors Lubrication
The concept of categorizing garage door lubricant may seem completely overrated at first glance. However, there are several types of lubricants dedicated to garage door greasing available in the market. So, a little bit of background study is required to choose the right lubrication for the garage doors parts. Common lubricants such as machine oil don’t function well as a garage door lubricant.
Despite being a good lubricant, machine oil isn’t recommended for garage doors because it is designed to be poured into sealed container environments where gear assemblies exist i.e. automobile engines, transmissions, rear differential assemblies. It is difficult to apply oil on the garage door assembly and oil is most likely to drip all over the floor and on your hand. It will not last long as oil hardly gets stuck on the vertical parts of the garage door. Lubricant will drip away and accumulate dirt which may cause clogging of the moving parts and track of the garage door.
As for grease and lithium, they are viscous lubricants and are designed to be applied manually to flat or almost flat friction surfaces. These lubricants, when applied on a surface, will gather dirt that can work its way into the mechanisms and cause wear. Some people tend to spray WD 40 aerosol as lubricants on the garage door which is also unfitting. WD 40 is not a lubricant, it removes rust and prevents corrosion.
The best-suited garage door lubricants are Teflon or Silicone come in the form of an aerosol spray can which is rather convenient to apply. This type of sprays function properly into the rollers and hinges and also enable smooth operation by minimizing friction. It also frees the door up to operate.
Another type of lubricant fitted for garage doors is white lithium grease and it is very effective for the movable metal on metal parts. Normally, white lithium grease is devised by mixing oil and soap and it is available in spray cans. This lubricant is completely resistant to friction and any wear and tear. White lithium grease has a wide operating temperature range and it is ideal for the movable parts that can be subjected to extreme cold or extreme heat. The only downside is that it is not water-resistant.
In summary, White lithium grease and Silicone or Teflon spray are the best candidates as lubrication for garage doors.
Benefits of Garage Doors Lubrication
Now, if you are still pondering about all these fusses about specialized garage doors lubrication then here are some compelling points you should look at.
- Smoother operation of the garage door: the moving and stationary parts of the garage door are subjected to frictional force when they tend to move one on another. Generally, these parts are made of metal and they generate a significant amount of noise while operating. Grease reach between them and it forms a layer or wall there and thus protects the material which leads to smooth movement
- Protecting the door components: frequent operation of the garage door makes the moving parts vulnerable to wear and tear. Due to friction, metal components will get dented on the surface and also get eroded, scratched and rusty. Lubricants protect the parts from such damages and extend the lifetime of the contraption to a great extent.
- Trouble-free operation of roller, hinges, and torsion spring: the roller of the garage door makes an unpleasant screech when it’s dry and it becomes hard to operate. The door hinges fold or unfold the door when needed. A jammed hinge obstructs such movements and puts too much pressure on the tracks and rollers which will cause further wear and tear of those parts. So, it’s necessary to correctly lubrication these garage doors part over time.
When torsion springs become dry it will give somehow different sound than other parts. Since these springs can store massive amounts of energy, it may cause serious harm if they snap. Hence, a regular application of lubricant on them would ensure practical and noiseless functioning.
Top 10 Best Lubrication For Garage Doors
1. WD-40 Company 300012 Specialist Silicone Spray
The versatility of WD 40 specialist silicone spray is highly commendable. This lubricant is compatible with multiple materials other than metal. If you have a jammed vinyl door or window, WD 40 Silicone Spray will sort the issue in no time. It doesn’t harm plastic or rubber components. So, you don’t have to worry about accidentally putting grease on them. It performs spectacularly on the cables, pulleys, and hinges of your garage door.
WD 40 Specialist Silicone Spray has a runny consistency compared to other products. This lubricant forms a hard film after drying which will reduce friction between moving parts and keep the heavily stressed mechanisms running. WD 40 Silicone Spray is convenient to apply and it leaves no messy residue behind. It is water-resistant and hence it will protect against corrosion of the components exposed to elements.
The concept of “smart straw” is quite handy and allows you to select different spray settings. You can choose from a focused stream or a wider fan-type spray. The fume of the lubricant is considerably less strong than others. But you have to use either a well-ventilated area or a respirator while utilizing the silicone spray. The fume will disperse within 10 to 15 minutes depending on the condition of the surrounding. So, you don’t have to wait long to enter your garage after spraying the lubricant.
- Versatile lubricant suitable for different materials
- Doesn’t affect rubber or plastic component
- Dry out quickly and doesn’t gather dirt
- Easy to apply
- Mild fume
- Smart straw to change between focused or fan-shaped spray
- Thinner consistency may be misleading for some customer
2. 3-IN-ONE Professional Garage Door Lubricant
Since 1984, the 3-IN-ONE is a renowned and trusted brand among professionals and hobbyists as well. 3-IN-ONE lubricant is suitable for both domestic and commercial garage doors which is heavy duty and operates more frequently than household garages. Systematic utilization of this lubricant to hinges, door tracks, chains, pulleys, and latches prevents rusting, corrosion, sticking, and squeaking. 3-IN-ONE lubricant dries out fast after applying and doesn’t leave a messy residue or attract foreign particles over the surface.
This lubricant is easy to use as it comes in the form of an aerosol can and a long straw nozzle helps you to direct it accurately. The straw is permanently attached to the can to prevent accidental misplacement. The 3-IN-ONE lubricant has a thin consistency which helps it to enter hard to reach areas. It will lubricate rubber sealing efficiently without damaging. The odor diffuses pretty quickly and it can be used indoors.
- Suitable for commercial and residential use
- Permanent long straw nozzle
- Great for rubber sealing
- Low toxicity and fume
- Prevent corrosion and rust
- Thin lubricant is easy to apply over the tight spot
- Not suitable for moving parts subjected to heavy wear
- The straw nozzle is hard to replace if damaged.
3. CRC 5037 White Lithium Grease
CRC white lithium grease is of topnotch quality with an advanced additive package for long-lasting lubrication. It features excellent water and heat resistance. This grease also provides excellent corrosion protection and film strength in any weather and temperature. CRC white lithium grease is recommended for metal to metal contact only. This is break-in lubrication for bearings and also suitable for moving parts like hinges, latches, overhead door tracks, open gears, chains, cables, slide conveyors, guide rails, cams, pistons, machinery, tools, & equipment.
Along with garage door’s parts, CRC White Lithium Grease provides high-quality protection for the automotive, workshop, and home use, superior performance and durability in any weather and most temperatures. It is perfect for heavy-duty metal to metal lubrication and ideal for lubrication of hard-to-reach areas due to aerosol application. It doesn’t have a strong odor and lasts for several months on the surface even in the winter season.
- Works in a wide temperature range
- The lubricant film will last for several months
- Aerosol can be handy to use
- Prevent corrosion and rust
- Can be applied in hard to reach the spot
- The lubricant leaves a white stain on the fabric
- Works only on metal surfaces. Rubber or plastic parts will get damaged if it comes to contact.
4. DuPont Silicone Lubricant
DuPont Silicone Lubricant with Teflon Fluoropolymer is excellent for non-metal materials that are susceptible to damage by conventional lubricants and appropriate for rubber, plastic, vinyl, leather, metal, and wood. This product features multiple sizes of containers like 14 ounce, 10 ounce and 4 ounce. It will eliminate squeaking and binding in windows, hinges, locks, and many other light duty mechanisms.
DuPont Silicone lubricant spray helps to prevent corrosion, oxidation, and rust. This formula is waterproof and it can be used for protecting fishing gear, tools, and farm equipment from salt, chlorine, and corrosives. Also, it can prevent snow sticking and muddy buildups on shovels, snowblowers, wheel wells, etc. and withstand temperatures from -40°F (-40°C) up to 400°F (204°C). This lubricant cleans up messy grease and sticky smudge.
- Wide temperature range
- Doesn’t harm non-metal parts
- Easy to use aerosol can
- Water-resistant formula
- Prevents corrosion and rust
- Cleans up grease and dirt
- Not suitable for heavy-duty mechanisms
- No straw nozzle
5. Liquid Wrench Penetrating Oil
Liquid Wrench is one of the few “Made in USA” products which is produced by a local family-owned company based out of Charlotte, NC also named Liquid Wrench. It’s been a trusted brand since 1941. Liquid wrench dissolves rust and cuts through old grease quickly to release seized nuts, bolts, and locks. It is an anti-seize formula that works fast and loosens rusted bolts and various parts by penetrating the toughest corrosion and rust. To reach tight spots, precise spray nozzles are available.
Liquid Wrench Penetrating Oil with Cerflon features a balance of high lubricity, high solvency, low viscosity, and low surface tension formula which performs brilliantly. Cerflon, which is Ceramic Reinforced Fluoropolymer, is a cutting edge lubricant additive that reduces friction and increases the lubricity and durability for lubricants and coatings. Liquid Wrench Penetrating Oil is 50-state compliant and emits 0% VOC and low fume. This lubricant is safe to apply on the painted surface, plastic, and PVC material. It is recommended for rusty nuts, bolts & hinges, clamps & pipe fittings. locks & latches. frozen mechanisms, nozzles, and hose pipe fittings. It is very effective for garage door components, too.
- Made in USA product
- State-of-the-art lubricant additive
- Mild odor and no VOC
- Safe for non-metal parts
- Can be applied on a painted surface
- Precise spray mechanism
- Flammable and has fire hazards
6. WD-40 300240 Specialist White Lithium Grease Spray
WD-40 has been a very popular brand of specialist products for more than 65 years. The specialist white lithium grease spray from WD-40 is a 50 state VOC compliant product and hence it is very suitable for lubricating equipment before storing. This grease is available in the spray can with a redesigned spray head which relieves you from the fiddling around attaching a plastic wand. After spraying the grease, it quickly sets to leave an even coat of thick grease. This thick protective coat won’t run off and it will withstand a temperature ranging from 0° F to 300° F.
WD-40 Specialist White Lithium Grease Spray is suitable for metal parts only and it is suitable for lubricating auto hinges, gears, sprockets, latches, door tracks, pulleys, cables, and more. The lubricant provides heavy-duty lubrication and protection against rust and corrosion.
- Durable lubrication
- Wide temperature range
- No VOC and 50-state compliant product
- Permanent straw nozzle to reach the area with a small opening
- Strong fume
7. B’laster 16-LG High-Performance White Lithium Grease
This grease creates a thick waterproof protective layer to prevent corrosion. B’laster white lithium grease keeps the surface lubricated even at extreme temperatures. The protective coating of this grease deters moisture and oxidation. It is recommended for metal parts like auto hinges, latches, gears, hitches & receivers, and others.
White lithium grease takes a little time to soak in the metal and create the protective coating. After applying the grease, it dries out and forms a slick and thick film which is tough and will last a long time. It’s very effective for moving metal parts for providing low friction lubrication. B’laster white lithium grease uses petroleum distillates and has very low fumes. So, it can be used indoors without chemical exposure hazards.
- Creates a thick and tough protective coating
- Can perform at extreme temperature
- Great for metal parts
- Prevents corrosion and oxidation
- Mild odor
- Non-metal parts may get damaged by this lubricant
8. 3M White Grease
3M White Grease shows excellent performance under high friction loads, rubbing, and wiping movements. It is a lithium grease based heavily bodied aerosol lubricant. This grease doesn’t wash off if exposed to road spray, rain, and snow. 3M is a great general-purpose white lithium grease for moving metal parts. The coating formed by the grease is durable in nature and it will protect the moving metal parts from wear by significantly reducing frictional force. Because of the thick consistency, the grease won’t drip. Also, 3M white grease protects metal parts from rust and corrosion.
This white lithium grease comes in an aerosol canister and it is very easy to apply. To spray the grease on the targeted area, there is a plastic straw attachment available with the aerosol can. Although it’s designed for automotive parts, it works well on hinges and other metal mechanisms of the garage door.
- Aerosol can be very easy to apply
- Long-lasting protective coating
- Thick consistency prevents dripping
- Protect metal from oxidation and corrosion
- Straw nozzle to lubricate tight spot
- The plastic straw nozzle may get loose over time
9. LiquiFix Lubricant
If you are looking for some toxic-free and environment-friendly lubricant then LiquiFix Lubricant is the product of your choice. Because of zero VOCs, food-grade NSF H1 compatibility, and odorless features, this product is quite safe around pets and children. LiquiFix Lubricant is very effective and 2-3 times more durable than its competitors available in the market.
Although the lubricant has an oily consistency, it won’t attract dirt or other contaminants. It will maintain this consistency at -3.2 F. LiquiFix lubricant is also safe to apply on electric appliances, cabinets, and circuit boards due to the high dielectric strength. It has less fire hazard as the flashpoint of the lubricant (275 F) is two times the aerosol spray lubricant.
LiquiFix lubricant is pretty safe to utilize in a confined space because it meets California air quality specifications. After applying this lubricant, it will work almost instantly on windows, sliding glass doors, hinges, door locks, garage doors, and others. Instead of aerosol cans, this product is available in spray bottles which reduces fire hazard.
- Low toxic product
- Zero VOCs
- High flash point and non-pressurized container reduce fire hazard
- Safe to employ on electric equipment
- Not harmful for pets and children
- Packaging is not up to standard
- The lubricant may drip while spraying
10. Genie GLU-3 Screw Drive Garage Door Opener Lubricant
Genie GLU-3 lubricant is crafted especially for the shaft of the screw drive garage door opener. This lubricant is available in tubes with a nozzle for applying the grease precisely. This tube is sold in packs of three petite tubes for three separate applications. Each tube contains a small amount of grease for single use on the garage door opener shaft. Three tubes are enough for a year to lubricate your garage door opener for noise-free operations.
Rather than an aerosol can, the Genie GLU-3 lube is in gel form. You have spread the gel evenly by your hand over the parts of the garage door. But the gel lubricant has a longer life span and you have to use maximum twice a year. But it doesn’t perform well under freezing temperatures.
- Long-lasting lubricant
- Single-use tube to prevent the lube from getting stale
- Highly effective
- Easy to use
- Not suitable for cold weather
Key Features Before Buying Garage Doors Lubrication
If you are not sure about the ideal characteristics of a good garage doors lubrication, here are some points worth mentioning
- Long-Lasting Protection : After applying the grease, it should provide enduring service. An appropriate grease will stick to the desired parts of the garage door without accumulating dirt and leave your door squeak-free and able to open and close without a hitch for months.
- Bottle Size : Since it’s recommended to grease your garage door twice a year, a conveniently sized bottle of lubricant will save you money. If the bottle is too small, you may need multiple bottles over a year.
- Brand : Lubricant from an established and trusted brand will save time and research while purchasing one. If it’s costlier than other products, it’s justified and will save you money in the long run. Besides, parts of your garage door will receive better protection and service from such lubricants which will prolong the service life.
- Ease of Use : Since most of the moving parts are vertically positioned, it may be difficult to apply grease by hand to them. But lubricant in a spray canister is very easy to spread over and reach tight spots. It will save a lot of time and energy.
How to Process A Garage Doors Lubrication
Parts of Garage Doors to Lubrication
It is crucial to remember that some parts such as the bearings or tracks of the garage door have to be lubricated by professional maintenance personnel. Garage door parts that are accessible to the user to lubricate would be hinges, rollers, and torsion springs.
Only metal hinges should be lubricated at their pivot points. Plastic hinges may get damaged by some lubricants. Nylon rollers can also be damaged by greases. Rollers help to move the garage door up and down. Metal wheels are less vulnerable but don’t forget to cover the floor and your car to avoid any drips along the way.
Springs also support the upward and downward motion of the garage door. You have to locate these torsion springs to lubricate because lubricating the springs can increase their efficiency as well as their lifespan.
Garage Doors Lubrication Application Procedure
One important thing to remember is that WD 40 is not a lubricant and shouldn’t be used as the lubricating agent for the garage door. Also, oil is not suitable for such applications as dirt and dust buildup and is more likely to drip than garage door grease or lube. You should purchase silicone spray lubricant or white lithium grease for this purpose. Here are some pretty basic steps to do the lubrication of the garage doors:
- First of all, you have to clean out the tracks where the rollers run to open or close the door. These tracks aren’t supposed to be lubricated but they have cleaned to ensure proper operation of the door. In order to do that, close the garage door first then cut the power. Now, you will be able to access the tracks and the rest of the moving parts on your door. A vacuum cleaner with an extension hose can be used to suck out the dirt and debris from hard to reach areas.
- To lubricate the hinges, manually lift the door slowly and spray lubricant over every hinge as it reaches the end of the track. They should be covered in lubricant.
- The straw nozzle is required to spray lubricant on the rollers attached to the hinges of the garage door. Extra lubricant has to be wiped clean so that the door doesn’t get unbalanced. Avoid spraying lubricant on nylon rollers.
- At the top of the garage door, torsion spring is located with bearing plates on both sides of the spring. Apply lubricant on the outside of the springs and near the center of the bearing plates. After that, open and close your garage door to distribute the grease evenly.
- Using the straw nozzle, point the lubricant towards the lock’s keyhole and spray once to lubricate it. Then spray the large armbar on the top of the door.
- The top portion of the rail needs to be lubricated as this is the part where the chain of the garage door rides along. Put lubricant on the top of the rail and spread it afterward.
Like any other mechanical contraption, the garage door requires periodic maintenance. Sometimes, you may have to call the professional service person. But lubricating some easily accessible parts of the door is not much of a daunting task and you will be able to do it yourself. If you choose the right product and perform the lubricating task properly, the door will provide a great service.