Mowing the lawn is a necessary undertaking if you are to maintain a presentable lawn. However, the task might seem daunting especially if you do not have the right equipment. There are many lawn mower for small yards in the market. This makes getting the right one a hectic process. You should not worry for you have come to the right place. Below, we are going to highlight the 10 best lawn mower for a small yard. We shall also look at their features, pros, and cons in-depth to help you make an informed purchasing decision.
Since there are a wide variety of lawns in the market, below is a guide on how to choose the best and most convenient lawn mower for you.
Types of Lawn Mower For Yard
There are different sizes, shapes, and patterns of mowers in the market today. Regardless, not all are convenient for small yard owners. I mean, some are well compatible with large yards only. That’s why it’s important to sample all types of lawn mower so as to understand the most suitable for your yard. We have explained different types of lawn mowers for you. Read on!
- Cylinder mowers : These are most suitable for flat yards. They are pushed manually as the user walks behind it to ensure perfect results. What behind that name? They have cylindrical blades that rotate in the vertical direction against the grass. They often come with multiple blades for easier cutting.
- Hover mowers : These species are mostly powered by electric energy. These make them the most convenient, easy, and conducive to use. They are made of rotary blades that move faster creating a cushion of air between the grass and its bottom surface. This makes it more maneuverable and easy to move towards any direction. They are suitable for sloppy or uneven lawns. They are also more suitable for small yards than large ones.
- Rotary mowers : Similar to hover, these mowers have rotary blades. However, they have wheels and a single blade underneath for horizontal cuts. They were the most traditional mowers that are mostly powered by battery or petrol. Albeit, electrical powered rotary mowers are also available. They are convenient for all types of grasses whether rough or soft. They are also best lawn mower for small yard.
How Are These Types of Mowers Powered?
Different models of lawn mowers have different sources of power. It’s also important to understand these sources before purchasing your device.
- Electric lawn mower : These are the most preferred lawn mowers. Why? They are easy to use and maintain. They operate under electric power with a long cord attached. This helps the user to plug into electricity source and move around your lawn. They are cheap and environmentally friendly. However, they are limited to large yards. They are best lawn mower and suitable for small yard.
- Cordless lawn mowers : Also known as battery mowers, these devices have batteries that help them to move around. They are also cheap to use and maintain. Lithium batteries are the best to consider with these machines. Why? They are light and long-lasting.
- Push lawn mowers : These are hand-pushed lawn mowers. They are manually propelled and use no other force rather than physical force. In that case, they are the cheapest to consider. They are suitable for both large and small yards.
- Fuel lawn mowers : As the name suggests, these are fuel-driven lawn mowers. Just like a car, they need petroleum oil to operate. These make them versatile and suitable for large yards. They are also more costly to use and maintain compared to the rest.
Benefits Associated With Lawn Mowers
Those in possession of yards can testify how maintaining them consumes a lot of time, requires discipline and consistency. A lawn mower makes the entire process easier for you. Through these machines:
- Cutting your grass becomes less hectic with no psychical strain.
- These devices have cutting blades that rotate uniformly leaving a neat, clean look around your yard.
- Using these machines helps to consume time.
- The entire process is conducive after the invention of lawn mowers that produce less noise.
Top 10 Best Editor’s Choice Lawn Mower For Small Yard
Among many, here is a list of the most effective mowers in the market:
1. Green Works 20-Inch 3-in-1 12 Amp Electric Corded Lawn Mower 25022
This particular gadget has been in the lawn mowers manufacturing industry for a long time. As they say old is gold, this has made it a great option when it comes to lawn mower for small yard. The mower has a lot of characteristics that set it apart from other mowers in its price range. To start off, the machine is powerful enough to cut through any type of grass without issues. It also has rear tires which are 10 inches in diameter. The width ensures that it becomes quite easy to move the mower as you trim the grass. In addition, it comes with two batteries and three function capabilities which include the bag, the mulch, and the side discharge.
You can adjust the height of the mower to seven different positions. This means that it is possible to mow even tall grass on your lawn. The lifting mechanism is also easy to operate as you control it with a single spring lever. The mower also has a wide cutting deck which measures 20 inches. The best thing is that it is enhanced with steel which makes it durable. To save on space, it has foldable handles. The machine has a three-year warranty which is a testament to its sturdy build.
- It is easy to maneuver
- It occupies less space
- Has seven adjustable heights
- It is not very effective at cutting grass while in mulching mode
2. BLACK+DECKER Lawn Mower, Corded, 13-Amp, 20-Inch (MM2000)
The BLACK + DECKER is another great option when it comes to the best lawn mower for small yard. The machine is built in such a way that it offers great versatility. Another characteristic that sets the mower apart is its gear-driven transmission. This means that you can change gears depending on the situation. If the grass is too long or very tough, then you can engage a lower gear. If the grass is not as tall or tough, then you can engage a higher gear.
Another great feature of the lawn mower is that its line feeder is automatic. This means that you do not have to engage in any manual settings when it comes to the line feeder. The mower is also very powerful since it has a 6.5 amp motor which gives it the required power to mow through all kinds of lawns. It also has adjustable cutting heights which is a very important feature. It is possible to adjust the mower from heights of 1.6 inches to 2.4 inches depending on the situation.
To make the mower even more versatile, it does not use a cord. This is an important feature since you do not have to deal with cords while working.
- Has easily adjustable handles which makes it compact and easy to store
- It does not have a cord
- Very maneuverable
- Its base is not very stable
3. Green Works 14-Inch 40V Cordless Lawn Mower, 4.0 AH Battery Included MO40B410
The Green works 14-Inch 40V Cordless Lawn Mower is the smaller sister of the much larger Greenworks 20-Inch 3-in-1 12 Amp Electric Corded Lawn Mower. However, like its big sister, the machine has all the great characteristics and you cannot go wrong with this machine. It is one of the best lawn mower for a small yard. One of the greatest features of the mower is that it has a great ratio between its front and rear wheels. The proper ratio means that you will not struggle to maneuver the machine and mowing the lawn becomes less tedious.
Although the motor is not as powerful as that of its counterpart, a 40V motor is pretty powerful also which means that you do not have to worry about the toughness of the grass. The lawn mower is battery powered which significantly reduces the noise that the machine produces.
It is also very easy to start the machine as all you have to do is press a button and the mower will come to life. It is also environmentally friendly as it does not emit harmful gases to the atmosphere. Additionally, it is also healthier since you do not inhale any exhaust fumes as you mow your lawn.
- Has a powerful motor
- It is easy to start and operate
- Does not emit harmful exhaust fumes
- Very quiet
- Not as versatile as other mowers in the price range
4. Great States 415-16 16-Inch 5-Blade Push Reel Lawn Mower, 16-Inch, 5-Blade, Silver
The Great States 415-16 16-Inch 5-Blade Push Reel Lawn Mower, 16-Inch, 5-Blade, Silver is another great machine with which you cannot go wrong. The machine is a manual push which means that you do not need any power source. The lawn mower is therefore perfect if you have a small lawn. It has a great adjustable cutting range whereby you can set the machine at a height of 0.5 inches to 2.75 inches depending on the height of the grass. To ensure that the machine gives you good service for a long time, it is made of stainless steel blades. The blades are not only stain-resistant, but they are also very durable.
The lawn mower also has a very interesting design whereby it has five blades. The blades are mounted on ball bearings which gives them the rapid rotation which is necessary for that perfect cut. The five blades make sure that you take as little time as possible mowing the lawn.
The other great feature of the machine is its compact design. This means that you will not need to be bothered about the machine’s storage. To ensure that your mowing experience is as comfortable as possible, the machine has large wheels that make its maneuverability very easy. Additionally, it has a padded handle which means that your hands will be as comfortable as possible.
- It has an adjustable height
- Has five blades which make mowing very fast
- Has comfortable handles
- Very compact
- Does not cut tough and long grass very efficiently
5. American Lawn Mower 1204-14 14-Inch Deluxe Hand Reel Mower
The American Lawn Mower 1204-14 14-Inch Deluxe Hand Reel Mower is another perfect lawn mower for a small yard. It is completely manual which means that you do not need fuel or any other power source to operate the mower. The mower has a minimalist design but surprisingly produces very satisfactory results. It is not only versatile but also very adjustable. With the lawn mower, you have the option of adjusting it to different levels depending on the height and the texture of the grass that you are trimming. To ensure durability, the blades are made of steel alloy. The alloy is very strong such that you do not have to worry about your blades getting damaged by stones or sticks.
It is also very easy to operate as the machine does not have any complicated mechanism. All you have to do is get it on the lawn, adjust the height, and start mowing your lawn. Due to the lack of an engine that occupies much space in motorized mowers, this American Lawn Mower 1204-14 is therefore is extremely easy to store. You can also rest it on a hook. The main design of the mower focuses more on simplicity rather than complexity.
- Does not need any power since it is manually operated
- It is very easy to operate since it does not have a complicated mechanism
- It has an adjustable height which makes it very versatile
- Having alloy blades which are extremely durable
- It is very compact therefore does not require much space
- Does not need any fuel to operate
- It is not very effective on extremely tough grass.
6. American Lawn Mower Company 50514 14-Inch 11-Amp Corded Electric Lawn Mower, Black
Another great option when it comes to lawn mowing is the American Lawn Mower Company 50514. The mower is powered by a powerful motor which makes it a breeze to mow through even the toughest grass. Its power comes from the 11 Amp motor which makes it a great machine to maintain small lawns. It is electric-powered which means that it does not need fuel to operate. Electric power means that the machine does not release pollutants into the environment. Your health will also not suffer as you do not inhale any exhaust fumes.
Another great characteristic of the mower is that it is very easy to start. All you need is to push a button to power up the engine. The mower has an adjustable handle. The adjustability of the handle comes in handy as you can adjust it to the best position depending on your height. It has a 14-inch blade that is well versed to cut grass which is 1 inch in height to 2.5 inches. To add to its versatility, the machine has 5 adjustable heights which means that it does not matter the height or the toughness of the grass, the machine will do a very clean job.
You do not have to worry about the collecting grass after you are done mowing for the machine has a grass bag. Another great feature is that there’s an indicator that shows you the level of the grass in the bag so which makes it easy to know when the bag becomes full.
- It is very lightweight
- Has a powerful motor
- It has an adjustable handlebar
- Has a grass bag with an indicator
- It requires a bit of space to store
7. BLACK+DECKER 3-in-1 Lawn Mower, String Trimmer, and Edger, 12-Inch (MTC220)
BLACK+DECKER 3-in-1 Lawn Mower is one of the best lawn mowers for small yard that is in the market today. It combines three elements in one which gives it great versatility. Additionally, it is electronically powered which means that you do not have to incur any extra expenses on fuel and much maintenance as is the case with gas-powered lawn mowers. It is possible to use the machine like a mower when the handle is attached to the base of the machine. When you pull out the handle from the machine, the mower becomes a string trimmer that you can use to trim those places which the mower cannot access.
Another great feature of the mower is that it has an adjustable handle whereby you can set it to the most comfortable height. The handle also has a pivot which makes the machine extremely easy to control especially when you are using it as a string trimmer.
It also has a significant advantage in that it is compact so storing it should not be an issue seven if you have limited storage space.
- It is very lightweight
- It is a tree in one mower
- Small and therefore easily storable
- It does not use gas
- It is not very hardy therefore not suitable for larger lawns
8. Great States 815-18 18-Inch 5-Blade Push Reel Lawn Mower, Grey
Another great option when it comes to a lawn mower is the Great States 815- 18. It is manual in nature which means that you do not have to worry about any fuel. Additionally, it does not use electricity or battery. It has two large wheels which make it very versatile since it can move well over grass. It also has very sharp steel blades which give it an edge over other manual lawn mowers.
The machine is also very compact and therefore should not worry if you have limited storage space. It comes with adjustable cutting heights. The height adjustment makes sure you can comfortably cut grass of different heights.
- It is manually operated
- Has big wheels that make it versatile
- Very easy to store
- Cannot mow a large area
9. Sun Joe MJ401C 14-Inch 28-Volt Cordless Push Lawn Mower, Green
Sun Joe MJ401C 14-Inch 28-Volt Cordless is also another great option when it comes to lawn mower for a small yard. One of the best features of the lawn mower is that it is cordless so you do not have to struggle with cords while mowing the lawn. To start the machine is also easy as all you need to do is insert the key into the ignition, press the safety switch which prevents the machine to start automatically and finally squeeze the trigger to bring the engine into life.
Make sure that you keep your lawn well-trimmed, the machine has a very durable steel blade. To make sure that the machine performs at its optimum, it has three levels of height whereby you can adjust according to the level of grass that you want to cut. The machine also has a grass bag that collects all the grass that you cut and all the other small twigs and other debris found on the lawn. Another great feature is that is very easy to detach the grass bag so that you can easily dispose of the grass.
The lawn mower as earlier stated does not use gas but rather it is battery powered. With a full recharge, the lawn mower will go for 25 minutes without any need for a recharge. The time between recharges is quite enough for you to trim your lawn in a satisfactory manner. The Sun Joe MJ401Cis also lightweight which means that it is very easy to maneuver.
- Does not have a cord which makes it very versatile
- It is extremely lightweight
- It has a safety switch to prevent accidental switch on
- Durable steel blade
- Has a glass collection bag
- It needs constant recharging
10. WORX WG779 40V Power Share 4.0 Ah 14″ Lawn Mower
Another great option for people with a small yard is the WORX WG779 40V Power Share 4.0 Ah 14″ Lawn Mower w/ Mulching &Intellicut (2x20V Batteries). The mower is battery powered which means that it does not use any cable. Lawn mowers that use cables are an inconvenience since you can trip over the wire causing an accident. To make sure that you do not keep on recharging, the mower has 2 20V power batteries which means it has a total power output of 40V. It also has a power on demand mechanism which means that it will not lose power when it is idle.
To make sure that you do not tire while cutting the grass, the handles are padded to make them very comfortable. It is possible to adjust the levels of the mower so that you can cut any level of the grass. The lawn mower is also lightweight which gives it the much-desired maneuverability.
- Very easy to use
- Easy to assemble
- It is highly maneuverable
- It is lightweight
- It overheats after a while.
Factors to Consider Before Buying The Best Lawn Mower For Small Yard
Getting the right lawn mower can be hectic at times. To get be best, you should consider the following factors.
- Price : Price should be in consideration when buying a lawn mower. It’s advisable to get a device that suits your pocket. However, It’s most likely that the higher the price the higher the quality of a product. What if your pocket is drained? You should not worry because there are other factors to determine when purchasing your device.
- Durability : Regardless of the price, you should ensure that the machine is made of durable materials to avoid immense wear and tear. Make sure your blades are also strong and easy to sharpen frequently.
- Brand : Checkout whether it’s from a legit brand that guarantees quality. Conduct good research; look out for reviews from customers before purchase. Ensure that a specific brand is well-rated so as to ensure the value of your money.
- Level of adjusting : It’s also important to ensure your device is highly flexible. It should allow adjustment to different positions. This is to ascertain that it can cut both tall and short kinds of grass effectively. a good lawn mower should have an average cutting height of 20 to 60 mm to ensure a smooth cut of both short and long cut. You should also ensure it has a wide width cut of more than 300 mm thus helps to save on time.
- Texture or type of grass : Some mowers are best for long and rough grass while others are for soft, short grasses. That’s why it’s important to consider the texture of your grasses. Machines like rotary lawn mowers are fit for rough and long grasses. You should also consider grasses like Bermuda which grows best while cut at its lowest or fescues which grow best while cut from the top.
- Nearest service center : It’s advised to conduct thorough research on the nearest service center before eyeing on a lawnmower. This is to ensure you can service your device anytime in case of an emergency.
- Environmental friendly : There is gas or electric-powered mowers in the market. Gas-powered mowers are mostly noisy as they have higher decibels. If you hate noise around you, it’s advisable to consider electric mowers as they produce less noise. They are also environmentally friendly as they discharge less smoke.
- Size and shape of your lawn : Different lawn mowers are designed to work best on different sizes and shapes of yards. You should, therefore, know the exact measurement of your lawn before purchasing your lawnmower.
- Mulching ability : If you value mulching your lawn, consider a mower that can cut your grass, grind it and add them back to your yard as mulch. To understand better, mulching is the ability to cover the soil with layer materials to improve fertility. Some mowers are advanced enough to shred the grass clippings into small pieces to mulch your lawn.
- Warranty : Always ensure your machine’s warranty is not shady. Make sure it’s genuine and long enough. The duration of the warranty goes hand in hand with its value. You should thus ensure it has an average warrant duration of two or more years.
- Wheels : It’s noted that mowers with uniform wheels are always the easiest to deal with. Avoid machines with larger rear wheels as they are hectic to handle.
- Tracking level : This is the ability to monitor how far the engine has operated without a change of oil. Best mowers should have the ability to notify this through your Smartphone.
- Self-driven : You should consider whether you prefer propelling your machine manually or not. If your yard is small, self-driven lawn mower are suitable and less exhausting. It’s also regarded as a good way of working out your body.
- Grass box : This is a container that corrects grass clippings after cut to avoid double work of cleaning. It’s thus important to ensure your mower has a grass box before purchase. It’s also essential to look out for the size of your box to avoid emptying the clippings now and then.
- Expenses : Cost-effectiveness is an essential factor when purchasing your lawn mower. Expenses on small lawns should be reasonable. You should thus consider devices that are cheap to use and maintain.
- Robot mowers : Technology advancement has brought easily to use robot mowers. Although they are high in price compared to the rest, these mowers are the most ideal for you. This additional feature allows you set time and allow them to move around on their own with no interference.
- Easy to maintain : Ensure your device is easy to main, easy to use, and easy to store. Storage is a challenge for many users. You should also ensure it is easy to change oil and also easy to handle when operating.
- Mowing edges : When mowing, the edges of your device leaves an uneven surface unlike that of the single lever. You should thus ensure your device is well equipped to operate cleanly on the edges.
FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions
How should I choose the best lawn mower?
To get a good one, you should look out for factors like texture and size of your grass. Other factors like price, durability, and accessibility should also count.
Are electric lawn mowers good?
YES. Electric-powered mowers are reliable, faster, and easy to use or maintain. They are also more conducive to the environment.
What inch is the best setting for lawn mower?
More often than not, 3 inch is the best minimum setting of lawn mowers. Mowing your grass from 3 inches helps to prevent lot grass diseases, conserve moisture and improve your grass density/color.
When should you avoid mowing?
Experts advise that you should not cut your grass during dry seasons as it stresses it. It is therefore advised to mow during wet seasons.
What horsepower do I need for a lawn mower?
Your lawn mower horsepower engine depends entirely on the size of your lawn, subjective need or physical strength to power the mower. However, for small yards, the right horsepower should range between 2.5 to 4.0 HP.
What is the best mulching mower?
The best mulching mower should be able to cut the grass, turn them into small pieces and transfer them back to your lawn simultaneously. This improves your lawn fertility and makes it easier to dispose of your grass clippings.
How many cc is suitable for a lawn mower?
This depends on the texture and size of your grass. Nevertheless, the right mower should range from 140 to 190 cc averagely. This type is suitable for tough, tall, and wet grasses.
How do you change the oil from your lawn mower?
Most people believe they are hard to operate as they need a frequent change of oil. The truth is, changing of oil is quite easy. It requires you to:
- Unplug everything to avoid turning on during the process.
- Use a tube to siphon out all unwanted oil. You can also tilt the machine for oil to flow out.
- Fill in clean oil and seal everything back.
As seen, there are different lawn mower for small yard in the market. Some are electric; others use batteries while others are manually operated. The choice of a lawn mower depends on your specific need. However, it is important to put a number of considerations before settling on a particular machine. You should consider the price, functionality, and other additional features. We sure hope that this guide will help you make an informed purchasing decision.